Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My 22 revolver shoot out results at last.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

My 22 revolver shoot out results at last.

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:56 pm

We had a nice day in the 60s so we finally packed up the 22 revolvers I posted about over the winter and shot them to see how they would perform. Here they are for those who have forgotten. All of these are 22 LR, starting from the top left, going clockwise, we have the S&W 617 with a red dot followed by a 1958 Old Model Ruger Single Six, followed by a New Model Liberty Single Six (made in 1976) underneath it and finally a Uberti Cattleman on the lower left. Actually my first range session with all of these.

My plan was to test them at 25 yards, but when we got to the range, no vacancy at the 25/50 yard range, full up, so we had to move to an unoccupied shorter range needing construction, meaning we had to improvise a target stand. Not happy about this, but, oh well.

I paced off twelve long paces to a small berm and called it 12 yards, but actually yardage could have been more. Since we were shooting up closer than planned, I used one inch orange dots. Ammo for all the guns was CCI SV. Guns were shot from an improvised rest. My shooting was a little rusty after our long winter, but I did well enough for test and comparison purposes

S&W 617 with red dot
I predicted this one would be my control shooter, given it was the only one with a red dot, not to mention that the 617 is known for being accurate. It did not disappoint. Great trigger, no malfunctions (a relief since it had made a trip back to Smith to fix light strikes). The 4 MOA dot was a bit large for the small orange dots, but the gun shot well. At 25 yards, I predict this one will be a 1" shooter. Very pleased.

Ruger New Model Liberty Single Six.
This one I bought as a collectible and hadn't planned to shoot, but I'm glad I changed my mind. It shoots, beautifully. Very consistent shooter. Sights were perfect for a six o'clock hold, but they are adjustable on this one, so good to go for any distance. I think I enjoyed this one the most.

1958 Old Model Single Six
Fine old Ruger with fixed sights. With a six o'clock it shot high, so I shot another group holding a bit low to get them in the orange. Very accurate, but the fixed sight on this one could be tricky for longer distances. More shooting needed.

Uberti Cattleman, 12 shot
High hopes for this one. Accuracy was there and the fixed Colt gutter sights were exactly right where they should be to match point of aim. Unfortunately, though, I had some light strike issues. This one has the new fangled hammer safety setup, which I suspect was sticking, causing the hammer not to fully extend. Will clean it up and try again. Otherwise, very easy to shoot.
9 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: My 22 revolver shoot out results at last.

Post by Cofisher » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 pm

Nice shooting. Good to see you getting out again. Thanks for the report.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:48 pm

Nice shooting NCG. I know you like the Rugers but that Cattleman is the looker of those 3 SA in my opinion
Last edited by BigAl52 on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:10 am

Fantastic shooting and reporting. I’m not sure which I like better -your pistol shooting or your photo shooing.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:24 am

Nice shooting NCG, like Al said the Cattleman is a fine looker and the '58 Ruger is a close second in my book.
Like Gene said, some nice pictures.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:09 am

Great report NCG. I DO like that Smith, but good shooting all round to say the least. Glad you got out. Maybe next time you'll have a better lane choice. Thanks for sharing.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:15 am

Looks like a great time x’s four! Love all four but the 617 has a special place in my heart and looks like a shinning gem amongst those good looking single actions.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:22 am

Thanks, guys. Yes, I already rated the Uberti as the best looking months ago, but this test was all shooting. The Uberti still did very well. The failure to fire issue kind of soured me, though. Not giving up on it. Just gets put back on the list of project guns that need work.

The Liberty Ruger was the last one I shot and the way it printed those groups with everything in the orange several times really left me with a positive impression. One of those guns that felt like everything was just right. Of the four, I'd rate it as the one that was the most effortless to shoot. I have a soft spot for Ruger Single Sixes, anyway.

The 617 and I go way back. This is not my first. It's still the king of DA 22s still in production when you get one running without any issues, though the new Colt may give it some competition, now. Haven't seen one of those, yet. Since I do shoot DA revolvers in DA, this 617, like the other 617s I've had, will be my practice gun for DA shooting. I consider a target grade DA 22 a must for any serious DA shooter.

And Watchdog, I'm with you on the looks of the 617. It's a classic DA revolver, though I do admit that the look of DA revolvers is something of an acquitted taste after seeing all the groaning about the looks of the new Henry. :)
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:38 pm

Loved the shootout results and they all appear to be very good shootin' 22 revolvers! On that Uberti 12 shooter the first thing I did after I ran some ammo thru it was convert that safety hammer to standard ol' fixed firing pin and make it a 11 shooter....load 3 skip one and then 8 more. Plus the action feels much smoother with the extra hammer/trigger linkage gone and no mifires.
Mine shoots really well when I do my part of holding steady.
Attachments
IMG_6528.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 219 times
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:13 pm

Nice shootin forty.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012