Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester load testing...Anaconda grip test....and.....

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Winchester load testing...Anaconda grip test....and.....

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:23 pm

New shed arrives for storing targets ! Yep a busy day started when I got there at 9 AM this morning and had a couple of items to test out.
First up while waiting for the shed truck was testing the crimp strength of my 44-40 loads with my 1892 Winchester rifle. Had issues with the plated bullets with no crimp groove staying put with the thin walled 44-40 case which is the heavier Starline brass. A few rounds would have the bullet pushed back from recoil and cycling. So I tried the 200 gr. Missouri Bullets RNFP with my typical crimp and they stayed in place with the 8.5 gr. Unique load. The thin wall of the 44-40 brass has a tough time with the plated no groove bullets but seem to work fine in the 44-40 revolver.

Next was testing my Colt Anaconda again with the wood grips I had bought last year. They would loosen up after a few mid level 44 Mag rounds so I made a couple of fixes that solved the problem today. Made a tighter fitting locating pin for the grips and added .030 steel shim along the long side inside the grip to stop any recoil movement. After 20 rounds including some hot ones the wood grips stay tight.

Target for the Winchester was set at 35 yds and the Anaconda was at 10 yds with double action shooting.

The shed arrived and about an hour later we had it in place. Now will move all the target setups that I don't leave out inside a nice storage area near the target area. Also give me more room in the small shed/cabin.
Attachments
IMG_7079.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_7082.JPG
IMG_7082.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_7084.JPG
IMG_7084.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_7087.JPG
IMG_7087.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_7085.JPG
IMG_7085.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 392 times
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Winchester load testing...Anaconda grip test....and.....

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:43 am

I love your "range house." I added one right after I started building my range. Sure makes it nice to have everything already AT the range.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:19 am

Thanks BM ! That shed looks to be well built and will be a great place to store the targets like my two dueling trees among other things. Hoping it is tight enough to keep those dang nest building wasp out too.
Now with the range shooting....my Anaconda has big trouble I discovered and will do a post on it in the Other Handgun forum...it will have to go back to Colt.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:55 am

Good looking shed and it looks to be the perfect size for your needs. I’ve been keeping an eye on Craigslist for a used shed that size or a bit smaller for the same purpose. So far everything I’ve looked at has been too expensive.

Oh, good looking target too!
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:55 am
Good looking shed and it looks to be the perfect size for your needs. I’ve been keeping an eye on Craigslist for a used shed that size or a bit smaller for the same purpose. So far everything I’ve looked at has been too expensive.

That shed was 2200 bucks and seemed to be a fair price compared to other sheds. Nice quality materials 2x4 studs and that new type siding board that resist water and bug damage...Smart siding I think it is and of course a steel roof. Secure Storage Sheds is the company. Had first wanted a 10x8 steel shipping container but those are hard to find used and new the cost is up near $4000 bucks!
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:34 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:26 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:55 am

That shed was 2200 bucks and seemed to be a fair price compared to other sheds. Nice quality materials 2x4 studs and that new type siding board that resist water and bug damage...Smart siding I think it is and of course a steel roof. Secure Storage Sheds is the company. Had first wanted a 10x8 steel shipping container but those are hard to find used and new the cost is up near $4000 bucks!
Yeah, $2200 is quite a bit less expensive than I’m seeing around here for the same size. I keep telling myself that it’s only a 100 yard or so walk to where I plan to set up my range from the shop up there. It’s a very steep hill for half of it but i just have to put my big boys shoes on and do the hike. All my gear, target stand, shooting bench, table, guns and ammo will fit in a wheeled cart I have. Sure would be nice to have a shed up there with all the gear other than guns and ammo in it. Your shed would be perfect for me
0 x