Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some plinking fun today with Colt 45 levers !

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Some plinking fun today with Colt 45 levers !

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:09 pm

Finally a great blue sky day with mid 50's temps and good enough to go down to the woods and play. Brought along my Henry 45 Colt X model and the cool little Rossi Ranch Hand in 45. These things are getting up in price since not being made anymore!

Had fun on the steel close in and then some 40 yd shots on paper with the X-model shooting the 325 gr. Slammers from a standing position.
When those things hit the gong from 70 yds with the suppressor attached that thing rings all around the place!!!

Then the real fun I enjoyed was trying to hit the same gong from 70 yds. with the Ranch Hand and its 9 inch barrel again from standing position.
Once I found the sweet spot to hold on the gong and I got off a good trigger pull it was several hits. In the picture you can see the white tombstone gong just above the trigger in the distance. I love shooting this thing!
45 Colt loads were either 250 grain Xtreme plated with 6 gr. Red Dot or the 250 gr. MB RNFP Cowboy bullet with 8.5 Unique....all great loads and you can shove in those big ol 325 gr. bullets if needs be.

Another fun day in the woods!
Attachments
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 364 times
IMG_6954.JPG
IMG_6954.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 364 times
IMG_6959.JPG
IMG_6959.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 364 times
IMG_6974.JPG
IMG_6974.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 364 times
IMG_6981.JPG
IMG_6981.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 364 times
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Some plinking fun today with Colt 45 levers !

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:57 pm

I have to say those are some very interesting lever guns, forty. That Rossi is pretty impressive in 45 Colt. Nice work.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:01 pm

Thanks NCG! That Rossi was a fun project that turned out well. I had cut the barrel down to 9 inches from factory 12 and had to shorten the fore stock and mag tube a bit but it still holds 5 rounds. Made up a brass front sight and installed it in the barrel band and opened the rear sight to a semi ghost ring, When I first bought it I tore it down and stoned/polished all the rough areas of the action and slacked up the loading gate spring pressure. The thing is really slick to run and load now and easy on the loading fingers! Rossi has stopped making these little beasts and the prices have jumped up accordingly when you find one. Wish they had made some in .44-40.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:35 am

Looks like Ricochet Creek is running fine. Seems like I’ve seen pics with it dried up and also over the bank. Nice flow today for sure.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:42 am

Love the sign and the shortened RH.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:35 am
Looks like Ricochet Creek is running fine. Seems like I’ve seen pics with it dried up and also over the bank. Nice flow today for sure.
Actually Ricochet Creek is the name I give to the 2 small run off ditches I have to cross to get to the gong. I built two short walk bridges over them so as to not have to jump over....stay out the mud. But I'm sure there is some deflected lead in that area. The larger creek where the bridge is located is further down the woods and official name is the Black Branch and the flow does vary a lot depending of season and rainfall of course. It runs a good ways into a much larger creek.
0 x