Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Browning BL-22 plinker

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Browning BL-22 plinker

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:30 pm

I confess to sometimes being a target snob. My shooting tastes and my upbringing in rifles has been heavily concentrated on tiny groups and bolt rifles with match grade triggers and barrels, especially now that I'm in my last years of shooting. Hasn't always been all bolt rifles and shooting for group size and score, though. As a youngster, I did my share of plinking at tin cans and bottles and dirt clods with the other kids.

These days the bulk of my backyard plinking has been with air guns and steel. The air guns make awesome backyard plinkers, but sometimes I get a strong urge to plink with my rimfire rifles, too. Cycling cartridges in a rifle and hearing a pop, even with the lowly CB 22 Short, is still in my blood. Always will be. I kind of cringe using CB Shorts in my match grade bolt rifles or even my expensive Winchester single shots, though. Those really aren't good choices for plinking rifles, anyway.

Oh, we do have a couple of 10/22s and those are some of the all time greats for plinking, of course, except that 10/22s those won't cycle CB Shorts. Long story, short, I've been keeping an eye out for a 22 plinking rifle that can handle CB Shorts, one that is light and handy like a 10/22 and also like a 10/22, a fun rifle for stepping out on the deck for a few shots at 25 yards.

I think I found that 22 plinker this week and brought it home. It's a mint condition Browning BL-22, made in 1969, the first year for the BL-22, made for Browning by Miroku (there never was a Belgium version of the BL-22). It's a Grade I, meaning no checkering or engraving, but I never cared that much for the fancy stuff, anyway. This really is a little jewel of a 22 rifle.

I had a BL-22 awhile back and scoped it, but standard 1" tube rimfire scopes kind of overwhelm this little rifle and the combination just didn't work out for me, so I traded off the BL-22. Later, though, I found a perfect 22 scope for a small 22 rifle and it's been sitting in the scope drawer ever since, just waiting for the right rifle. This BL-22 is it. The scope is the perfect match for the BL-22.

In fact, the scope is a 4x 3/4" tube scope marked Browning 4x. It's actually the legendary baby Redfield 4x 22 scope made by Redfield for Browning back in the 60s. All steel scope with great optics. Rings are 1" steel Leupold using 3/4" adapter shims I found at Brownell's.

Another thing I have always loved about the BL-22 is that the mag tube clicks into the mag and locks in place. Never have to worry about a mag tune slipping out or working loose like some of the competition.

Now for some shooting. BL-22s are not known for their light triggers, but these early ones aren't too bad. This one is about 4 pounds plus, but very crisp. Took me awhile to work out a hold to work the trigger, but once I did, I got accuracy that I would rate as upper class plinking, small game level, even using CB Shorts which are a long way from being match ammo. After getting on paper with the scope, I went 10 for 10 on steel to officially begin my plinking.

Did I mention this is a pretty little jewel of a 22 plinking rifle?
13 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Browning BL-22 plinker

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Congratulations NCG. That is a very cool little rifle. It looks good too.
I find the scope interesting. It seems to do a great job.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Very nice rifle NCG 🙂and great shooting as expected from you.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Dang. I’ve had mine for over forty years and have only shot LR’s. Now I’m going to have to try some shorts or CB’s.
Thanks for posting this.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Very nice combination!

Enjoy.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Outstanding NCG, a very nice find indeed.
That scope makes for a nice combo.
That should bring many hours of future enjoyment.
Congratulations.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Beautiful rifle Joanie! Very accurate shooter too in your hands. We’re you able to shoot in your backyard or did you go to the range?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 pm

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

I bought this rifle specifically to shoot 22 Shorts and 22 Short CBs and it cycles them, perfectly. The mag capacity is 15 long Rifles and obviously more 22 Shorts, but I didn't count how many. Forgot to add that the BL-22 is famous for having the very short 33 degree lever, so you could shoot a BL-22 very fast if that's your thing.

Gene, yes, shot from my deck down to the bullet traps set at 25 yards, same way I do a lot of air gun shooting. With the CB Shorts, the sound of the bullet hitting the steel trap or other steel targets is louder than the shot. It's about the same as shooting one of my springer air rifles. At some point I will take it out to the club range and shoot it at 50 yards with serious target 22 LR ammo and probably with a larger scope, though I have no doubts about the accuracy at all. Really got this one to contribute more to your ongoing daily plinking thread. Personally, I think we should crown your thread as the official, ongoing daily plinking thread. maybe give it it's own forum category.
2 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:11 pm
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Really got this one to contribute more to your ongoing daily plinking thread. Personally, I think we should crown your thread as the official, ongoing daily plinking thread. maybe give it it's own forum category.
That certainly could happen.

All those in favor?
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Not a bad idea. 🙂
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry