Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not a Henry, But.......

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Not a Henry, But.......

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:28 pm

Wonderful report, Jimmie. Thank-you.

I love small, lightweight snubbie revolvers and have been shooting just about everything on the market over the years, including that Smith 317. I find that shooting these small, light revolvers well is not easy and takes not just a lot of practice, but also different techniques than standard size revolvers. I find that a much firmer grip helps a lot, for instance. Otherwise the revolver bounces around in your hand when shot and that really takes a toll on consistency and hence, accuracy.

I also understand and love the simpler manual of arms that comes with shooting revolvers.

Over the years, I've owned almost all of the various J frame Smiths and, yeah, those gutter sights on the fixed sight models can be a real headache. If you can ever find one of the adjustable sight, steel 22 LR kit guns like the Model 34 or Model 63, you'll love one, but they get very pricey.

Another option in a small, very well built 22 LR kit gun is the Ruger Bearcat if you're into single actions. Same issue with the sights, though, unless you can find one of the adjustable sight versions that were a dealer exclusive. Now hard to find, though. The current all steel versions are a bit heavier than the 317, but the original alloy versions are about the same weight. Superbly built little jewel of a gun.

PS The snow flakes are back! Loving it.
1 x

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:11 pm

Thanks for your insights, North Country Gal!!!

Selfishy, if I were to have a pair of .22 revolvers for myself, I wouldn't mind a SA only gun like you have pictured, but with an adjustable rear sight. I would also like to have an $&W K-framed 10-shot 617 wheelgun as well, and for now, that would satisfy my want for .22 cal revolvers. I keep looking at some of the local gun shops for something I might like in an SA, but have found neither a used SA I like, nor a used 617. Not to whine, but being retired, I no longer have the money for more new guns for myself. So, I'll keep lookin'.......

For bigger caliber revolvers for myself, I've already made what I consider the mistake of a lifetime. I bought a brand new 686 $&W revolver sometime around 1993 or so, to shoot the local Action Pistol, Bowling Pin, & Steel Plate matches with. I never fired a round through it, and sent it immediately to Smith's Custom Shop. We shot all those matches DA only. I aked $&W's Custom folks to give me the best, smoothest DA trigger pull they could give me (that would reliably pop a primer), and please put a front sight on there that I preferred. They sent me back THE SWEETEST revolver I've ever owned. But try as I might, I kept getting beat in those competitions by folks with 1911s. In a fit of competitiveness and stupidity, after a few years, I sold the 686 to buy a Kimber 1911. I don't regret buying the Kimber (results were almost instantly better), but I seriously regret parting with the 686.

Likin' the snow flakes as well!
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:35 pm

You are very welcome.

Yeah, if we could only go back and retrieve some of those guns we let slip away ... I've had my share and now and then, they keep me awake at nights, wishing I could have them back. Of course, there were some I wish I had never bought in the first place, so good riddance to those. Not the 686 Smith, though. That's one I enjoyed.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:01 pm

Going back some years the only gun I had was a S&W 38 Special Chief snub nose and later bought my first SA revolver a used Ruger New Vaquero 45 Colt .So my wife wanted to go along to our local indoor range so I could shoot my new Ruger and I would let her shoot the .38 snubby. Well She shot that a while and then wanted to shoot the big ol' 45. She shot it very well saying she like it better! :o You never know!
3 x