Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally. Range time

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Finally. Range time

Post by FormerParatrooper » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:42 pm

The last outing, I had an issue with the scope loosening. Been awhile and finally got back to the range after I applied some Loctite.

Very happy now. No scope movement after 200 rounds.

Groups were about 1 inch at 50 yards, and decent at 100 yards. Used Sellier and Bellot 158 gr SP.

We set up some water jugs, pumpkins, assorted melons and had the younger ones do some trigger pulling. A mess was made and a lot of grins from the kiddos.

On the 17th I will be sitting in my deer blind, with my Henry waiting for that doe to come on by. And I will have a new hunter to be with me. My friends who property I hunt has a 11 year old son that wants to learn to hunt. This year he will be an observer. He has to do hunter safety to hold a weapon and this was a last-minute detail I found out about. His Dad doesn't hunt and didn't have a clue about the hunter safety. We will get that done for next season so he can start in earnest.
6 x
I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace - Thomas Paine

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Finally. Range time

Post by Mr. Neutron » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:45 pm

Wish you the best of luck during your hunting season, and good on you for mentoring a younger hunter!!!
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:27 am

He's eleven. Be prepared to NOT have a doe come by because it might be hard for an eleven year old to sit quietly without talking for more than twenty minutes. Use that first session to explain, answer questions, and acclimate him to the deer stand and the hunting experience. Maybe fire a shot or two at the end of your first "Deer Stand" session to get him used to the sound of the Rifle up close in the stand. If you DO get a deer and weren't expecting to score and put HIM first, Bonus.

BTDT...
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:44 am

Good for you, reminds me when my son went thru Hunters Ed and how much fun that was for dad.
0 x

FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by FormerParatrooper » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:16 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:27 am
He's eleven. Be prepared to NOT have a doe come by because it might be hard for an eleven year old to sit quietly without talking for more than twenty minutes. Use that first session to explain, answer questions, and acclimate him to the deer stand and the hunting experience. Maybe fire a shot or two at the end of your first "Deer Stand" session to get him used to the sound of the Rifle up close in the stand. If you DO get a deer and weren't expecting to score and put HIM first, Bonus.

BTDT...
I got ya Marine, and Happy belated Birthday. I can't get him on the trigger this year, he has to have Hunters Ed. And DNR does come to the property because of the work that was done on the property with a pond that was built and erosion control at the creek that borders the property. Your never know when Illinois DNR may want to stop by. They know I hunt there and about two years ago they stopped by at the end of the first open day. The kid knows he can't shoot, but still wants to go.
0 x
I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace - Thomas Paine

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 am

FormerParatrooper wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:16 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

BTDT...
I got ya Marine, and Happy belated Birthday. I can't get him on the trigger this year, he has to have Hunters Ed. And DNR does come to the property because of the work that was done on the property with a pond that was built and erosion control at the creek that borders the property. Your never know when Illinois DNR may want to stop by. They know I hunt there and about two years ago they stopped by at the end of the first open day. The kid knows he can't shoot, but still wants to go.
I got you too. What I meant was... if you do get to take a deer, it's a bonus because you were WILLING to put him first by taking along a youngin'. You know in advance they may chatter, move around, have to "go" often, and generally ruin your chances, but you are still willing to put his desire to experience the hunt before your desire for the deer. Good on you for being willing to do so. Getting the deer would be a bonus, a reward for your sacrifice, and a plus for him, as he would get to see the "rest of the process."

I would not have suggested you break the law brother... nearly thirty years in various aspects during my career, including 18 months in Fish and Game... (dispatching.)

:D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by FormerParatrooper » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:06 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:09 am
FormerParatrooper wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:16 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:

I got you too. What I meant was... if you do get to take a deer, it's a bonus because you were WILLING to put him first by taking along a youngin'. You know in advance they may chatter, move around, have to "go" often, and generally ruin your chances, but you are still willing to put his desire to experience the hunt before your desire for the deer. Good on you for being willing to do so. Getting the deer would be a bonus, a reward for your sacrifice, and a plus for him, as he would get to see the "rest of the process."

I would not have suggested you break the law brother... nearly thirty years in various aspects during my career, including 18 months in Fish and Game... (dispatching.)

:D
We are on the same page. I knew you weren't saying that, just thought maybe you misunderstood the reason why he wasn't going to get trigger time.

Admittedly I get Friday morning alone since he will be in school, so IF I tag one, I will head and get an over the counter tag, there are a lot left in the County for purchase. That way he still gets his chance.
1 x

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by FormerParatrooper » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 pm

I went out on Friday while he was in school. I saw a coyote and heard a few shots a few properties over. That night I sprayed estrus out in front of the blind and on a few tree's.

On Saturday he did fine in the blind. Had his earpiece in, watching hunting videos and at the 5th hour of sitting in the blind, we had two spikes wander over and huff at each other. He had a big ol grin, and I whispered we were just gonna watch them and let them go on. That was it for the day, but he was happy. I told him we may not see any more deer, but you never know. He wanted to come back Sunday and was ready when I got there at 6am.

Sunday morning started with a lot of wood peckers and sparrows. We saw a Heron fly to the creek. It was pretty quiet until about 10 am when 4 does come in and sniffed around. One of the smaller ones walked to about 5 feet from the blind. This kids eyes got huge and that grin was awesome. He kept quiet but was completely amazed. That little one walked off and one of the larger does gave me a broadside about 50 yards out. One .357 round sent and one doe was down. The other does at first just stood there and then took off towards the creek. I whispered to him we needed to wait and watch the doe so we knew where she went. She didn't go far, about 20 yards and collapsed. The other does came back. We got out the blind real slow and I whispered to him to stand and stay still. I took a few steps and they bolted.

We went to our doe, I showed him how to tag her. Then we measured her and wrote it on the tag for the call to DNR to report the harvest. He helped field dress her, later butcher and prepare the hide.

We have a new young hunter. Now we begin hunter education classes and more range time. he is already talking about food plots, lol.
6 x

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 am

^^^^^^^^^

That sir is a range report worth reading twice. Well done.
0 x

FormerParatrooper
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by FormerParatrooper » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:12 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:50 am
^^^^^^^^^

That sir is a range report worth reading twice. Well done.
I appreciate it.

We all at one point in our life had someone who put us on a path where we are now. I am privileged to continue that and honor those who got me where I am.
0 x

US Army, 1983-2004.

H012 GMR