Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Was a range outting just to get brass but SURPRISE !

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Was a range outting just to get brass but SURPRISE !

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:54 pm

Having troubles getting my 44-40 brass to size in the Lee sizing die to make rifle and revolver happy. I called Lee Precision and tech guy said send him some shot brass from both guns and they will modify my die free of charge. So a quick trip to the range just to shoot some HSM ammo which wasn't a great performer last time with the Winchester 1892.
Tacked up a plate target for the Uberti/ Cimarron revolver just to see what the stuff would do from 7 yds. standing two hand hold. Had not shot this ammo in the revolver yet and WOW what a surprise to see 5 shots in a big ragged hole. Now the bore on the revolver slugged out to .429 and these HSM bullets are small at .428 Backed up to 16 yds to see but I must have got wild with only 3 of 5 hitting in a group.

Now the old 1892 was up and wasn't expecting much since the last outting with HSM but man was I surprised to see a crazy tight cluster of 5 shots from 22 yds. shooting off of my knee!
Then loaded up 5 more and now back at 35 yds. WOW a pair of crazy groups of tumbling bullets! :o Now the bore on the rifle slugged out to .430 so these bullets ain't grabbing much rifling at a size of .428 ! Amazed that the old 128 yr. old Winny can group tumbling bullets like that!
Note I tacked the last target to 3/4 inch thick cardboard to give a solid backing for target sheet to prove out tumble hits.

Anyway will run one of each case thru the Lee sizer and put those in the bag too so they can get me a sizer to fit both rifle and revolver.

Yes big surprise with the HSM ammo today!
Attachments
HSM 44-40 ammo test on 10 18 2023.jpg
HSM 44-40 ammo test on 10 18 2023.jpg (707.41 KiB) Viewed 877 times
what a surprise in the revolver with the under sized .428 bullet.jpg
what a surprise in the revolver with the under sized .428 bullet.jpg (681.49 KiB) Viewed 877 times
HSM cast lead bullet is .002 smaller than the .430 bore in the Winchester. Nice tumbling bullet groups!.jpg
HSM cast lead bullet is .002 smaller than the .430 bore in the Winchester. Nice tumbling bullet groups!.jpg (757.14 KiB) Viewed 877 times
5 x