Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A bolt gun AND a single shot pistol this time

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

A bolt gun AND a single shot pistol this time

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:01 pm

I had planned to shoot at 100 yards yesterday, but this time of year that range tends to be crowded and it was yesterday, so I settled for an initial sighting in of some of my 100 plus yard guns at 50 yards and then spent the rest of the session having fun with a couple of my 50 yard shooters.

Yeah, this Contender with the 22 LR Match barrel and the early Bushnell Trophy red dot sight is a LOT of fun. Very easy to shoot using my old taco style silhouette hold (left hand wrapped around a rifle scope or red dot and pistol held close to the eye). With such a hold, the big 30mm Bushnell red dot allows for a nice hold.

Not a lot of room for me to take a full standing shooting position with shooters to my left and right, so I just remained sitting at the bench, but otherwise no rest used, same as if I was standing. Also less fatiguing than a full standing position, so a little easier on old granny me. Shooting was at a Contender worthy 50 yards and the bull 3" which made the red dot size just fit over the bull.

Next up was an another Anschutz rimfire rifle I bought over the winter and haven't posted on it, though it's been to the range several times. Bill was shooting this Anschutz off a bipod and loving it while I was shooting the Contender. We were starting to pack up, but before we called it quits, I just had to take a few shots with it. Leave without shooting an Anschutz? No way.

This is an Anschutz 1416, which is the basic Anschutz rimfire, but as with all Anschutz rimfires, you can get it from the factory with a number of factory options. This particular one is a 1416 HB, HB for heavy barrel. This one also has a "light, two-stage trigger" option, meaning it breaks safely in ounces, not pounds. Scope is a vintage Burris 4-12x AO.

Decided to shoot some RWS Rifle Match and that meant a couple of tweaks on the scope needed to center in the little one inch orange dots I was using at 50 yards. Last group I shot made the perfect end for a nice range session. Also figure that if the Annie 1416 shoots this good, I might have to go with a higher mag scope. :)
6 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A bolt gun AND a single shot pistol this time

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:03 pm

Some really nice target shooters you have NCG! Love the grab handle type grip too!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Thanks, forty. Yeah, not at all conventional when it comes to shooting a handgun and it's not something you want to try that close to your face with a 44 mag, but it works wonders.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:03 am

Love the bolt gun, and that group is great. If I shot that group I'd tack it above my cleaning bench. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:14 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:03 am
Love the bolt gun, and that group is great. If I shot that group I'd tack it above my cleaning bench. :lol:
Hell, I’d tack it on the fridge if my wife would let me. :lol:
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:57 am

Thanks, guys. That's just the way an Anschutz shoots. My other Anschutz rifle and my two Anschutz bolt 22 pistols do the same. It's why you pay the steep price to get an "Annie". The Anschutz name is well known at the very highest levels of competition.
1 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:37 pm

Great shooting! I once had an Anschutz .22 magnum with a Weaver K4 and I think (?) it was a 1416 also. Made my best shot ever when two big male fox squirrels met on an oak tree branch at 60 yards. Just as their heads overlapped I squeezed off a shot on the near one and two squirrels dropped out of the tree....both perfect headshots. My hunting partner was sitting a ways down the ridge from me. That hunt took place over 40 years ago but he still brings it up every time I see him.

I sure do regret trading that rifle but it doesn't sound like you're going to make the same mistake.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:19 am

Thanks. That sounds like a once in a lifetime kind of shot. Amazing.

I won't make that mistake with this Anschutz, but I have made it with another Anschutz rifle in the past and I never got over the regret. It, too, was a 22 mag with double trigger. Beautiful rifle. one I should have kept. Oh, well.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:51 am

That Anschutz bolt in your hands sure knows where to put the bullet. I’m amazed at your high quality firearms and shooting.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:57 am

It just hit me your long narrow pictures weren’t stretched out. How do you do it?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater