Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range time with two single shots in 223

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Range time with two single shots in 223

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:28 pm

We had to scratch an itch to shoot some single shots, today, but this time we opted to go centerfire with the always pleasant to shoot 223. While both are single shots and both are chambered in 223, the guns we shot today are very different.

First up is one of our always fun, never disappoints Miroku/Winchester Low Wall 1885 single shots, this one a Hunter series in 223 with a Nikon Monarch scope (scope shown is different).

While these Miroku built Winchesters operate just like the original Winchester 1885s, they use a modernized 1885 action with coil springs for durability and so on.

We had intended to do our shooting at 100 yards, but that range was filled with a few other shooters, so we moved to the 50 yard range and had it to ourselves. After checking the zero and adjusting the scope as needed, I passed the rifle over to Bill, my husband, and watched him go to work with some inexpensive American Eagle 50 grain varmint tip loads. He had a nice little group going with this one, but pulled one shot. He kept smiling and telling me how much he liked the rifle, though, so he wasn't too upset.

Next up is another 223 single shot, but not a gun you see around much, anymore. It is an all original Remington XP-100 Varmint Special, this one made in 1986, the first year for the XP in 223. It wears a Burris 2.5-7x pistol scope.

Found this XP over the winter and today was my first outing with it this year, but after shooting it today, it won't be the last time out this year. What I especially love about my bolt action specialty pistols is the incredibly fast lock time and superb triggers and the XP does it to perfection. After all, the XP was built on the famous Remington 40X target action and it doesn't get much better than that.

After sighting in the scope, I grabbed a box if Hornady 55 grain V Max factory ammo and settled down to shoot a group. I guess Bill wasn't the only one who pulled a shot today. Oh, boy, do I wish I could have that one shot to do over! Oh yeah, pretty amazing pistol.
10 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Range time with two single shots in 223

Post by 5shot » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:45 pm

I agree with BIll. That Low Wall is a beautiful rifle!
0 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:27 am

That pistol is beautiful
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:11 am

They are both beautiful but I’m a little partial to the pistol. Great shooting even with the pulled shots.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 am

Doesn't it always seem the flyer sneaks in to mess up the group. just call it a mulligan and go with a four shot group. :D
Nice shooting both of you. I hope to get on the range very soon, the temps finally dropped, but the rain (Badly Needed) came in and we found inside work.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:54 am

Love the Low wall. If you get tired of it let me know I will come pick it up. Nice shooting to
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:07 am

Thanks, folks.

No, sorry, the 1885s aren't going anywhere. Oh, we have guns that are more accurate, but Bill and I both rate classic falling block single shots like the 1885s or the Ruger single shots as our favorite guns and will never sell one. They are the most reliably satisfying guns to shoot we've ever had. Never a bad range trip with one.

Next in line for me, personally, are the specialty pistols like the Contenders, XPs, and so on. Although Bill enjoys shooting some of them, too, my background of shooting them goes back decades. I have a lot of experience and history with them.

Single action revolvers are right there for me with the specialty pistols, though, again because I have an even longer history with them. Bill prefers his double action revolvers for shooting.

When it comes to conventional rifles, bolt actions are my workhorse guns. Oh, I've dabbled with semi-autos and once had a large lever gun collection, but bolt rifles do whatever I need done better than levers and auto loaders.

Yeah, I'm pretty old school in my taste in guns and a lot of the types of guns I like are slowly going extinct, but then, so am I. :)

Each to their own, as always, though.
3 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:50 pm

Some great looking guns and the shooting excellent!
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:13 pm

Certianly agree with NCG, especially regarding those Ruger No. 1's. Mine isn't going anywhere except to the range or desert. Sold or traded all my bolt rifles some years ago. But, that Ruger remains. A splendid shooter to be sure.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:22 pm

Yeah, Ruger single shots can really, really get into your blood. I always keep my eyes open for another used one.
2 x