Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big price increase for local range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Big price increase for local range

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:17 am

Our wonderful local rifle range is another victim of the last couple of years of inflation. Currently the dues are $125 per year and while that’s expensive the convenience and quality of the range is worth it. Starting next year the price will double increasing $67.50 per year for two years. I’m finding since I quit shooting long range competition there I’m just not using it as much as I used to. I’m considering letting my membership lapse and just using a gravel pit on some state land about 10 miles north of me. No benches or target stands but I used to shoot here a lot and have my own. Problem is it’s gated so everything has to be hauled in. I use an old dock cart to do this which works well. The other problems is two fold, it get’s real crowded so I like to go early but going alone also makes me concerned somewhat for my safety. Doesn’t take bringing too many guns along to get real attractive to a thief. I have amplified ear muffs which I wear backwards to listen for anybody walking up behind me.

But, doing this should encourage me to change up my shooting style which I have been wanting to do. I need to get away from the bench and searching for tiny groups and do more offhand shooting like many of you on here do. Going to the pit would work well for that. Of course right now there is no shooting on state land allowed due to fire danger but it’s too damn hot to shoot anyway.
4 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Big price increase for local range

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:24 am

I’ve changed from bench shooting to offhand in the last few years. Setting up targets and then collecting them takes time and while I still shoot paper most of my shooting is done at bullet traps and other metal objects which is hit or miss instead of group size.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:02 am

My range dues have stayed the same for several years at $ 123 bucks per year.....the county real estate tax...as long as I keep any structure under 250 sq. ft. in size. Yes just enjoy simple shooting off hand and keep it fun and relaxing!
I'm laying out my "shooter's door 30x18 inch in size to go at the target area end of my shed. On hot days just fire the generator for lights and A/C and shoot out the open door/hatch!
1 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:53 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:17 am
Our wonderful local rifle range is another victim of the last couple of years of inflation. Currently the dues are $125 per year and while that’s expensive the convenience and quality of the range is worth it. Starting next year the price will double increasing $67.50 per year for two years. I’m finding since I quit shooting long range competition there I’m just not using it as much as I used to. I’m considering letting my membership lapse and just using a gravel pit on some state land about 10 miles north of me. No benches or target stands but I used to shoot here a lot and have my own. Problem is it’s gated so everything has to be hauled in. I use an old dock cart to do this which works well. The other problems is two fold, it get’s real crowded so I like to go early but going alone also makes me concerned somewhat for my safety. Doesn’t take bringing too many guns along to get real attractive to a thief. I have amplified ear muffs which I wear backwards to listen for anybody walking up behind me.

But, doing this should encourage me to change up my shooting style which I have been wanting to do. I need to get away from the bench and searching for tiny groups and do more offhand shooting like many of you on here do. Going to the pit would work well for that. Of course right now there is no shooting on state land allowed due to fire danger but it’s too damn hot to shoot anyway.
A buddy let his lapse locally. Then a year or so later his schedule opened up, an old friend got back into shooting. Both found out the range has a wait list over 4 years long for membership.
1 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:10 pm

Well, I guess I'm just another one of those lucky ones that can shoot on my own land down in back of my house.

Wishing good luck to those who need to rely on other sources out there.
2 x
NRA Member

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:10 pm
Well, I guess I'm just another one of those lucky ones that can shoot on my own land down in back of my house.

Wishing good luck to those who need to rely on other sources out there.
It sure is nice to be able to do that.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:51 am

Well, it can be challenging finding a nice, legal place to shoot. As yes, crime doesn’t seem to discriminate. When I was in San Diego, there was a place in the mountains that I would go and shoot. It was not clean at times, but it was free. Our membership went up by $25, a year or so ago. Since I am a member that works on a committee, I don't pay dues. So, it was not a concern. Yet, it is $100 a year, which is not too bad to me anyway. Dues include all that are in my household. Therefore, my wife and I go and have fun, from time to time. It is a place to shoot, until I am able to get my own, if that will ever happen. However, it works for now. Nonetheless, I believe something will work out for you.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:28 am

Just a couple things to consider which you might not have thought of....

The last time I went to a public/indoor range... and this was a LONG Time ago....
It was about $10 per 30 minute session to shoot. BUT, you had to buy your ammo there, NO outside ammo. (Um... insurance purposes.)

** I could understand no reloads, but no outside factory ammo? They said people could reload and then SAY it was factory. Okay... I grant that point. :? Their ammo was about 20% higher than anywhere in town... they were making plenty since they bought by the truckload. I suspected they were buying commercial reloads.

No Rapid Fire Strings... Distinct breaks between shots.
Hard to practice for the matches if you couldn't practice the match format, but ... I understood. If I was practicing the rapid fire string everyone on the line would start up shooting rapid fire, and they might not (likely couldn't) control it. The condition of the ceiling tiles attested to that.

No practicing the draw from the holster.... Guns must come from the bench or the low ready.
Yeah, I got that. You'd have "Cowboy Bill" shooting the edge of the bench in front of him with his quick draw.

No BIG bore handguns, no full auto.
No need to explain.

You might want to reconsider the member though. I'd think of the increase as "Insurance." If that range is nice and the other members friendly, the Peace of mind might be well worth the extra money. Your post already tells us you won't feel safe or comfortable where you plan to shoot if you don't renew your membership.

Remember, everything has gotten more expensive and someone has to pay to maintain everything at the range.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:36 am

All good points BOM. The range I belong to allows reloads and big bore guns but the rest of your points do apply. This range is set up for paper punching only. That’s fine for sighting in and doing group/load development. For safety I would do better to go to the public land with others but I would avoid it on a weekend (crazy busy) so that leaves out many others to join me.

I have property up north near the border that would be perfect to set up a range on and I have considered that often. Trouble is that it’s a 90 minute drive away. Can’t shoot here at home due to to community rules but I have shot rimfire here from time to time.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:28 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:36 am
All good points BOM. The range I belong to allows reloads and big bore guns but the rest of your points do apply. This range is set up for paper punching only. That’s fine for sighting in and doing group/load development. For safety I would do better to go to the public land with others but I would avoid it on a weekend (crazy busy) so that leaves out many others to join me.

I have property up north near the border that would be perfect to set up a range on and I have considered that often. Trouble is that it’s a 90 minute drive away. Can’t shoot here at home due to to community rules but I have shot rimfire here from time to time.

When I first left the Corps, I rented for a year while I got situated and locked into the new career, but once that first lease was up and I started looking for a house, I made sure we were going to be in an area where I could shoot on the property. I had just an acre, but it backed up to a power line easement and the Sheriff confirmed it was legal to shoot. I did find out that ONE of the neighbors would later become a Karen before there was such a thing. If she was tired, frazzled, annoyed, not in the mood, whatever... no one in the area was supposed to do anything that made noise. (Shoot, mow, use power tools, kids play outside.... ) I was just on an acre, but the others in the area were on anywhere from three to fifteen. She was on seven.

A couple years later I moved farther away from my job, to the farm we'd live on for the next 28 years.... and we eventually had 20 acres and I had a nice range there. I made sure when we moved again there would be room to place a range and shooting wouldn't be an issue. The guy across the road had a formal range for years until he passed and for a good while ran classes once a quarter. It's overgrown and in disuse now... I told miss Tina, I have TWO requirements. 20 acres minimum in the country... and a place for my range. Everything else is on you. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.