Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Big price increase for local range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Big price increase for local range

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:00 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:58 am
Well it looks like I had better get my range built at our place up north. The DNR land I shoot on has just been closed to shooting. So now the closest place to shoot without going to an organized range is nearly 50 miles from me. Once again a few slobs and irresponsible gun owners have ruined it for all.

I have a good start….here’s plinking with my 39-A last week up north. :lol:

IMG_4341.jpeg

DNR CLOSES BOGGS PIT SHOOTING RANGE
https://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/ ... 0fb&pnum=2#
Im sure you have a valid point about the slobs and such but I just looked at that area. I only see one house even close to that pit and its in the other direction of the actual pit. Looks to me like people would be shooting the opposite direction form that house. Cant tell from Satellite how far it is away but look to me like at least 1/2 mile or more. I bet there was also a group of anitgunners in the area pushing for this especially since Washington is that way to begin with. I use to have the same situation but now am able to shoot on private ground about 10 minutes away. I hope you can find something else.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:47 pm

Fortunately I built my own on my land. A skeet field and a rifle/pistol rang with multiple hanging steel targets. I can shoot 24/7 if I wish. only let a FEW select friends us it.
3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:34 pm

I shoot the most on my own land. But county has a nuisance noise ordnance, quiet time 10pm to 7am. Not a problem for me as I usually shoot, when I shoot, at times late morning through the afternoon.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:15 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:00 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:58 am
Well it looks like I had better get my range built at our place up north. The DNR land I shoot on has just been closed to shooting. So now the closest place to shoot without going to an organized range is nearly 50 miles from me. Once again a few slobs and irresponsible gun owners have ruined it for all.

I have a good start….here’s plinking with my 39-A last week up north. :lol:

IMG_4341.jpeg

DNR CLOSES BOGGS PIT SHOOTING RANGE
https://edition.pagesuite.com/popovers/ ... 0fb&pnum=2#
Im sure you have a valid point about the slobs and such but I just looked at that area. I only see one house even close to that pit and its in the other direction of the actual pit. Looks to me like people would be shooting the opposite direction form that house. Cant tell from Satellite how far it is away but look to me like at least 1/2 mile or more. I bet there was also a group of anitgunners in the area pushing for this especially since Washington is that way to begin with. I use to have the same situation but now am able to shoot on private ground about 10 minutes away. I hope you can find something else.
There was some discussion on the local guntrader site about this. In this area there are several different shooting lanes separated from each other that accommodate different groups. Seems like on busy days some idiots shoot in a direction that allows bullets to leave the range. I did see a clip on the local news that showed a persons hand with three spent bullets in it. I’m guessing that these bullets were picked up on the range and not found in someones home as suggested in the news report. Three different diameter of bullets. Selective and biased reporting I’m sure.
1 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:05 pm

I am completely jealous of you home shooters, that is my retirement plan.

I’m currently a member at a large well run organizational range. This range is an hour drive, 2 counties, from home and cost is around $300 annually along with a min of 16 hours donated.
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:42 pm

I wouldn't know where to start if I had to shoot at a shooting range. Still hunt and shoot these same woods I did while growing up. Did have to find dirt pits and rock quarry's to shoot in when I lived away.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:16 pm

Resurrecting an old thread. It’s a new year and my gun club dues are due. This year from $125 up to $192.50 and next year up to $250. Even tho it’s a 90 minute drive to my property it’s nearly an hour drive to the gun club so that factors in. Time to move forward with my own range. Found that the local Tractor Supply had used RR ties in stock so today I bought 10. Also a Spokane bowling alley is replacing their pins and I bought 10 of their used pins for a buck each. So once the weather breaks here real soon I’m going to get set up to shoot up north.

I loaded the ties on my 10’ atv trailer and I will have to have my wife tow it up so I can tow the tractor. I need the tractor for both unloading the trailer and placing the ties. I enjoy this type of work and am excited to get it going. Where my property is located gets a lot more snow than here at my place so that will factor in.

IMG_4639.jpeg
IMG_4639.jpeg (5.49 MiB) Viewed 770 times
4 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:50 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:16 pm
Resurrecting an old thread. It’s a new year and my gun club dues are due. This year from $125 up to $192.50 and next year up to $250. Even tho it’s a 90 minute drive to my property it’s nearly an hour drive to the gun club so that factors in. Time to move forward with my own range. Found that the local Tractor Supply had used RR ties in stock so today I bought 10. Also a Spokane bowling alley is replacing their pins and I bought 10 of their used pins for a buck each. So once the weather breaks here real soon I’m going to get set up to shoot up north.

I loaded the ties on my 10’ atv trailer and I will have to have my wife tow it up so I can tow the tractor. I need the tractor for both unloading the trailer and placing the ties. I enjoy this type of work and am excited to get it going. Where my property is located gets a lot more snow than here at my place so that will factor in.

IMG_4639.jpeg
Looks like you are off to a great start and range work is FUN when you get to enjoy it plinking away the day! Still making improvements to my range property after 8 years of owning it.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:42 pm

At my age and physical condition, building my range was a challenge, but the tractor with the pallet forks made it possible. We had to limit the amount we did each day, we could usually only set about six a day, but we got 'er done. This past summer I set a culvert on the range and built that up with the bucket to help level the range... THAT I could do sitting down. I enjoyed it. Still, my old back injuries told me when I had to stop each day. If I listened, I could work the NEXT day. ;) This spring, more work on the berm fill and leveling. :D

Good luck to you, post pics.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:49 am

I mentioned getting the ties to my son and as expected he offered to help. Somebody raised him right!

Either that or he want’s to do some shooting. :lol:
0 x