Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Beating the Heat - July 2nd Handgun Shoot

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Beating the Heat - July 2nd Handgun Shoot

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:32 pm

The heat has been brutal the last week or two, but it's not SO bad today. 10am it was in the low 80s. Humidity was in the 80s as well. So I planned to shoot this morning and was glad I set up the range as I did... so it would be in the shade. It was a bit cooler than the surrounding areas. I set up on the seven yard line... Didn't want to spend too much time fiddling around setting up longer ranges.

08 range.jpg
08 range.jpg (550.58 KiB) Viewed 271 times

This morning's lineup?

01 todays lineup.jpg
01 todays lineup.jpg (394.43 KiB) Viewed 271 times

From Top to Bottom:

A 1980s 6" Colt Diamondback 22
A 1980s 6" Colt Python
and, an old friend, a gift from Miss Tina for an off duty carry...
A Kimber Tactical Ultra II .45 from the Kimber Custom Shop...

First on the line was the Diamondback. Hadn't shot this or the Python yet. I tried shooting this one standing, a mistake. I don't do standing well and the lower back pain affected the groups as you can see. More on the groups later.

02 Diamondback group.jpg
02 Diamondback group.jpg (332.54 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Next up was the Python. This was acquired several months ago and I have been waiting to shoot it. I shot it offhand, as I did all these guns, but I sat on a stool to do it. Much better. Two five shot groups. I was happy.

03 Python groups.jpg
03 Python groups.jpg (398.88 KiB) Viewed 271 times

I hadn't shot the Kimber in a while, and this is a subcompact 45, smaller than a Commander. I was surprised how tight the slowfire group was.

04 Kimber Group.jpg
04 Kimber Group.jpg (517.51 KiB) Viewed 271 times

I shot two five shot rapidfire groups, offhand. I was very happy with them. I might add this to my EDC stable beside the Sig P220. It always carried nice and I have a very nice Galco Holster for it. Group pic with the rapid fire coming.

The Diamondback groups... you'll note the flyers in these two groups. Pain will screw up your groups and it did. But the three shots in the second group look pretty good, if you discount the flyers. I shot those AFTER I sat down on the stool.

05  Diamondback.jpg
05 Diamondback.jpg (389.58 KiB) Viewed 271 times

That Python is a shooter, and I can't wait for a nice day to put it through it's paces. It was just turning nasty on the range and I wanted to shoot all three guns.

06 Python.jpg
06 Python.jpg (430.81 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Last but not least, a shot of the Kimber Slow Fire Group again, after I put ten rounds over it rapid fire. I don't have a shot timer, but for me, rapid fire isn't spray and pray, but as quickly as I can drop the sights back on target. Not bad at seven yards rapid.

07 Kimber.jpg
07 Kimber.jpg (430.65 KiB) Viewed 271 times

The 45 was shot with match grade reloads for the Springfield Match Gun. I'll shoot it a bit more with Hydrashocks and Gold Dot carrry ammo.. If it functions well I'll seriously consider it as a Every Day Carry (EDC) gun again. It's nice to get back down on the range. I plan to do it as often as possible. Maybe when it's raining... .it'll be cooler. 8-)
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Beating the Heat - July 2nd Handgun Shoot

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:35 pm

When Miss T bought the Kimber Tactical Ultra II she asked my guy at Greentop in Hanover for a good holster for an off duty gun. He sold her the Galco pancake you see here. I had been buying from Greentop since I was a kid, and they always looked out for me. He told her if I didn't like the holster, I could swap it. It was perfect. He knew I had a matching double mag pouch for another 45 that would work for the Kimber. :lol:

Kimber Tactical Ultra II (2).JPG
Kimber Tactical Ultra II (2).JPG (221.42 KiB) Viewed 270 times
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:11 pm

Very good shooting given the conditions and your pain! That humidity just saps the energy out of me nowdays. Greentops is a great place to shop for guns and reloading supplies! They gave me a really good deal on my Bond Arms Grizz trade for the 20 ga. Coach gun.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:53 pm

Great report and fine shooting, Marine. Those two Colts are such classics, real treasures, both. I've also had a number of compact 1911s from Kimber and STI and have had great success with them. The new modern breed of compact 1911s are actually very reliable and, like yours, can be amazingly accurate.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:58 pm

Will be back on the range as soon as the weather allows. I'm thinking long guns.
0 x

5shot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by 5shot » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:23 pm

Good shooting! I've never owned any of the Colt "snake" models but there's no denying those are sharp looking revolvers!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:34 pm

5shot wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:23 pm
Good shooting! I've never owned any of the Colt "snake" models but there's no denying those are sharp looking revolvers!
Always been a favorite of mine...
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:52 pm

Some mighty fine shooting and as everyone has said those are some purty shootin irons.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:09 pm

Nice shooting Marine. I know the older pythons are great revolters but would you buy a new one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:53 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:09 pm
Nice shooting Marine. I know the older pythons are great revolters but would you buy a new one.
You know, I just don't know. I haven't seen one in person, but have read good and bad reviews both. I think if I had the cash I would hold out for something else on my Bucket List. It's a very short list these days. I have a few guns I could sell/trade out now that I'm not teaching any longer, and could :roll: thin out my 1911 and Glock magazine stocks as well... But, I hate to let go, especially guns, unless I know the buyer. The move to Oklahoma made that easy. I can count the folks we know on both hands with fingers to spare. :D
1 x