Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally on the range again

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Finally on the range again

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:02 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:17 am
We were lucky enough to buy a pickup load of slab wood from a woman whose father had just passed. He had been a cabinet maker for decades and had four barns filled with wood. She loaded us down with the best pieces for the price of a load of cut and stacked firewood. Walnut, cherry, and exotics. If I had had the storage space I would have gone back for two or three more loads, she wanted me to. At the time we had just moved to the new farm and had NO outbuildings to speak of. The wood in the bin came from slabs.
That is a great supply of fine wood to have to make your craft dreams come true! Great cabinet work BM!
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:28 pm

Very nice and I like the tip out design. I have a lot of oak, walnut and ash that I brought back from Tenn. in 1986. It had been air drying until two years ago when I ran it through the planer. It is now labeled and stacked in racks in the rafters of a double carport. Whenever I need a piece , I can read length ,width and thickness and pick the one I need. I wish you lived closer as I wood be glad to share some it plus some cherry I have.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:36 pm

Thank you sir. Wood in Virginia wasn't as dear as it is in Oklahoma. You find a LOT of cedar here, it grows like weeds. Everything else is fairly costly. When I started loading my wood in the uhaul, my wife said, "Really?". I told her the exotics alone were worth more than all the material she was bringing... Boxes and Boxes of material. That didn't even began to consider the slabs of walnut, oak, maple, or Cherry. :D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:39 pm

I'm talking natural edge bark intact slabs at least 2" thick, 2 -1/2 foot wide, and ten feet long. Real slabs.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:18 pm

Those slabs are indeed worthy of a special table design. My lumber came about because my uncle had some timber land and some folks were caught cutting some of it. The law said to him " what do you want to do?" Uncle said make them pay to have it sawed up at the sawmill and then my nephew (me) just bought a planer so he can have the boards when he comes up next time. He had a very dry basement that had a garage door. When my new in 1986 wife and I came up to Tenn. for part of our honeymoon, he wasn't there but we picked up the lumber in my pickup and it came to Florida.I am still married and have used a little of the lumber.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:06 am

I have made a lot of things from the slabs over the years, but this is a live edge entertainment center I made for my oldest daughter and her husband for Christmas one year. They just wanted something to hold the TV, DVD/Blue Ray Player and extras, the design was up to me. The SIL graduated from VA Tech with a four year degree in Graphic Arts. I asked how he felt about live edge. He thought it would be great.

loaded down.jpg
loaded down.jpg (268.29 KiB) Viewed 184 times

They get lots of compliments on the piece, and often are asked by folks where they can buy one. I quit selling to the general public years ago. Most of my hobby work is used here in the home or goes to friends and family as gifts. One too many buyers tried to pick apart a completed project trying to get a discount on the agreed price. :lol:
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:49 am

Looks great! I have used some of my walnut live edge type slabs for my rifle hangers.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:20 am

:D That’s a good looking trio of handguns with the 41 being the icing on the top! Hoppes does not have an odor, it has an aroma.
2 x