Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

broke the shooting drought

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

broke the shooting drought

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:19 pm

It has been two days short of 13 months with no trips out to shoot. Definitely the longest time I have not been shooting since I was in elementary school. I never missed that length of time not shooting when I was in the military. My wife and I made a quick decision to take one rifle for each of us to make it easy to load everything up we would need without the usual hassle of too much stuff to load and unload in my truck. She used her very accurate 452 CZ Trainer and I took the prettiest rifle I own which is my Remington 512-X made in 1965. We really kept this trip simple. We took a bag of empty shot shells and shot at 50yds. and some at 65 yds. The first 8 I set up for my wife she hit them with one shot each. I went out and set up more and found the ones she had shot. I brought them back to show her and I set them on the bench and all were hit dead center and no more than a bullet diameter difference in elevation. She did not lose her accuracy with her shooting during the time between our last time out. She also doesn't mind the lower powered Leupold 2-7 scope because of the clarity it has. She was using an exceptionally good lot number of Federal auto match. Never figured bulk ammo could shoot that well. I really liked being able to load the tube fed Remington with about 15 rounds and no magazine being in the way. My Remington also has a Leupold 2-7 scope on it and is fine for this type of shooting. I was using CCI standard ammo in the Remington. The CZ Trainer would maybe be a little more accurate but only by a small amount but the Remington would be better in the squirrel woods. We did forget a few things to take with us. That seems to be normal on the first trip out to shoot after a break in shooting. Take care and be safe. bandit1250
8 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: broke the shooting drought

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:27 pm

Awesome glad you got some gunpowder therapy.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:36 pm

Glad you got out Bandit. Ive also had good luck with the auto match. But the blue box Federal 325 round pack is terrible ammo and very inconsistent
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:54 pm

Hey, if ya brought guns, ammo, targets, eye & ear protection, you probably did good! :)
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:50 pm

So glad that you and the wife got out to shoot after a long layoff. My husband and I did the same after a long layoff from shooting, too.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:55 pm

All winter long I shot in sun-zero temperatures dreaming about warmer weather. Now that it’s warmer I spend my time preparing for next winter. Glad you got out to shot especially hearing about the shotgun shells.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:55 pm

That is exactly why my late father said he moved from N.Y. to Florida. He got tired of spending all spring and summer preparing for winter. He kept a set of tire chains hanging on the back porch after he moved here and said if he got a little depressed he would just rattle them.
4 x