Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting tip, whats your process, secrets?

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Shooting tip, whats your process, secrets?

Post by ruhler » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:52 am

I started this post in another thread went a bit offtopic so decided to make a new topic instead. This is mainly for onehanded bullseye pistolshooting at 25meters basiccly its my firingplan I have never put down in words before but these are the steps I take and I realize its alot going on. Things that I dont think of normally, probably forgot some aswell. First of all im no expert or topshooter. Perhaps it gives somekind of help/tip for anyone, maybe it gives a laugh for how ridicilious it is for someone else ;). But this is how I do it. Hopefully you understand what Im writing my English it isnt my primary language.

SAFETY, act as all guns are loaded even if handed to you and checked by anyone else you still need to make sure the gun is unloaded, always keep muzzle in a safe direction, leave bolt/chamber open and magazine out of the gun at all times unless youre about to shoot. Never lay down a loaded gun.

MISFIRE / HANGFIRE / SQUIB LOAD
If a misfire happens keep holding the gun downrange and wait a while (60sec atleast) before doing anything it could be a hangfire, STOP unload and investigate, make sure that there is no bullet stuck in the barrel before shooting next round. I myself have stopped a experienced shooters from shooting again when a Squib load occured on a competition. Another time a shooter got lucky with a 44magnum, no bullet on paper but alot of splatter from the cylindergap, and hell of a recoil that hurt alot but could have been worse.

Shooting with both eyes open.
I shoot with both eyes open I have practiced that for a while, it feels more relaxed, it gives better field of view especially when having multiple targets or while hunting. Learned this by: started with aiming as "Normal" with left eye closed to find the sights then opened both eyes, when I started to focus on wrong sightpicture I just closed eye quickly. Its easy to practice daily just point your finger at a spot at a wall or something aiming as normal with one eye closed open both eyes and practice.

This is what I do as a "plan" for each shot. (isnt neccessary right for anyone else but works for me) for a serious practice trying to be consistant, trying to keep mind clear, relaxed "dont waste oxygen on keeping tension in other mucles than needed".

Stance
First I make sure the stance is comfortable and relaxed. When shooting onehanded pistol I make sure to have the weightbalance is on the middle above the feet just in front of the heels. Feets are about shoulderwith apart at a angle at the target, you should be able to close your eyes raise the gun and then the sight should be on target without effort not need to move your arm sideways. Keep the shoulder low and relaxed. The other non shootinghand I just stick in my pocket.

Grip
I grip the gun as it feels comfortable, on a pistol I try to get as high grip as I can. Grip should be like a firm handshake, too loose and you will be squeezing with the whole hand, the only motion in the hand should be in the triggerfinger.Triggerfinger should be on the trigger in the middle between the first joint and the fingertip the motion should go straight backwards without touching the frame of the gun. Its important that the triggerfinger gets som air between the finger and the grip, you should be able to push a paper between the grip/frame and trigger finger. If not adjust the grip. Dont forget the thumb should just rest on the side out of the way not applying any pressure.

Aiming
Before loading I lift the gun with my eyes closed as Im about to shoot and aim down range with the gun. When I open the eyes I will notice if the gun pointing wrong. Focus on the front sight the gun should be naturally without effort in the middle of the target sideways. If sightpicture is right but aim is on the sides of the target, adjust the stance by moving the feet/angle against the target and try again. I aim at 6oclock hold.

Triggerpull/firing
Breathe in deep during raising the gun above the target, feel the trigger and practice to take up the slack/pretravel in the trigger, hold your breathe for a while and exhale out slowly while lowering the gun. Focus on the front sight and keep the front and rear sight level. The target is suppose to be blurry. When entering the POA keep exhaling slowly to a point where you have 60% air left (think about it as a airpillowsupport for your torso). Hold your breathe and keep aiming POA (everyone shake/wiggle dont try to control where the trigger breaks its suppose to be a surprise). You got about 8seconds to fire. Followthrough like its a waterpistol keep the gun at POA after firing, analyze how did it feel, where did I hit, what did I do right/wrong. You can use a scope to confirm each shot and you will learn to identify each shot what happened.

Resting
Rest between shots, dont move around but relax as you stand, keep your grip but finger off the trigger. Hold the gun resting against table with muzzle pointing down range. Dont stare at the target, sky that are to bright, just rest your eyes on a wall, floor or something neutral close by.

Most important if it feels wrong never take the shot, you start shaking, taking to long, starts thinking about work and so on and you starting to think that you must fire. When trying to let the trigger break at POA your on the way out of the POA. Just stop and take down the gun, relax/rest a while, figure what went wrong check the stance/hold and make a new try.

Cant wait until this winter is over, really miss to be at the range in good daylight, warmweather, :) Sometimes shooting its frustrating, exausting both physically and mentally. But I do like the feeling afterwards, I always leave the range in a good mood, relaxed with a clear mind. Being at the range is sometimes about just plain fun, other times its serious competition, but remember its about having a good time among friends and family.
Last edited by ruhler on Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
8 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Shooting tip, whats your process, secrets?

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:05 am

Good tips for target shooting. In my youth, my instructor really stressed the breathing. It HAS helped me over the years. Thank you for taking the time to describe some very good points. Many of these techniques however would not be possible in a self-defense situation.
Good post...thank you!
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:00 am

To be sure, there is very little in common between traditional bullseye shooting and self-defense shooting. I'm definitely a shooter in the bullseye school and I have no fantasies about me being an expert self-defense shooter. That's fine with me, because I am purely a target and recreational shooter.

I started my shooting career in 8th grade when I joined a Junior rifle club, shooting four position, 50 foot rimfire bullseye using the club's Remington 513T target rifles with peep/globe sights. I had an excellent coach who took an interest in me because I took the shooting so seriously. I still have a picture in my head of him tapping a finger on his head while saying, "Concentrate, concentrate, concentrate!"

If I could share one thing about shooting that has helped me most over the years, it is that very thing. Concentration on that sight picture, before, during and after the shot (follow though) is everything. You don't have to have super eyesight or steadiness to be a great shot as some mistakenly believe, but you do need to train your mind to develop the concentration needed to be a good shot and that only comes with quality practice time, quality meaning enhancing good shooting habits and avoiding bad shooting habits. Shooting is ultimately a mental game.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:00 am

Concentration? Here's an example.

I've often drawn an audience back in the old days when I was shooting handguns with horrific recoil (454 and up), but nevertheless shooting such guns with good accuracy and, make no mistake, that is a shooting challenge. Many of those onlookers were shocked to see a gal shooting such guns because they assumed you had to be Arnold Schwarzenegger or similar to handle such recoil. When they asked, I told them it was just a matter of developing the technique needed to handle such recoil, of course, but then I would tap my finger to my forehead and tell them it mostly a mental thing to not let the recoil ruin my concentration when I shot. :)
3 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:07 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:00 am
Concentration? Here's an example.

I've often drawn an audience back in the old days when I was shooting handguns with horrific recoil (454 and up), but nevertheless shooting such guns with good accuracy and, make no mistake, that is a shooting challenge. Many of those onlookers were shocked to see a gal shooting such guns because they assumed you had to be Arnold Schwarzenegger or similar to handle such recoil. When they asked, I told them it was just a matter of developing the technique needed to handle such recoil, of course, but then I would tap my finger to my forehead and tell them it mostly a mental thing to not let the recoil ruin my concentration when I shot. :)
I have to say I agree with the mental preparedness / concentration example whole heartedly. I've taught a couple of people how to shoot. If they encounter difficulty, it has usually stemmed from the disconnect between knowing what to do and actually performing it. The brain changes things slightly if they don't have the ability to concentrate and overcome the natural aversion to an explosion going off in their hands and near their faces. Once they "get" it, it has been self correcting for them if provided good basics. At least in my limited experiance that's what I have seen.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:16 pm

Ruhler, Thanks for taking the time to make the really good write up and the help you just gave!

This is a Great Topic, for old and new shooters alike. Everyone should be open to learning about this stuff......

Really Excellent Advice, North Country Gal! Thanks for that!!! Hits home to me because I had struggles with that very thing off and on when I began shooting the matches I used to shoot. And especially with Instinctive Archery shooting as well. That takes a TON of concentration on the tiniest speck on the target you can focus on.......

I know this sounds all "Zen-like" and such, but a really great IPSC shooter in the '90s named Brian Enos wrote a book called "Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals". The text in the book on the subject of relaxation were right up there with concentration as well, and the relaxing led to better focus/concentration for me.
1 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 pm

A very good write up regarding target shooting. All excellent points and things I taught in basic marksmanship in the Corps and in Law Enforcement. A couple things to add to help the novice and the experienced shooters alike.

Follow Thru -

Bullet Holes won't disappear if you don't check the shot IMMEDIATELY after squeezing the trigger. HOLD your sight picture through the recoil and for a pause after firing the shot during target shooting and then bring the gun down. The shot is NOT completed until you have Followed thru. If you find that even though your sights are on and most of the shots are centered you still have shots bleeding out the bottom of the target, you are likely "Anticipating" the shot and pushing the muzzle down as you shoot so you can check the score/see the shot. This causes low shots. Follow thru.

Trigger Squeeze -

As stated above, the hand grips the firearm and the trigger finger squeezes or presses the trigger. The trigger squeeze should be similar to using an eye dropper. If you squeeze to hard or too fast the contents of the dropper squirt all over the eye and too much is applied. If you baby the dropper, the drop starts out, then is sucked back in. Starts out again, then is sucked back in. A steady even pressure applied to the dropper will result in ONE drop falling as a surprise into the open eye. A steady even pressure applied to the trigger will result in a smooth surprise break of the trigger. The trigger is pressed straight back. Curling the trigger will result in the shots pulled off target. Left for the Right handed shooter, Right for lefties.

Front Sight -

My mantra, in the back of my mind when competing, after all else is done. Has always been, "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight." In Fact, across the top of my range clip board in bold letter are the words, "Front Sight."

The Marine Corps taught us in Boot Camp that sight alignment is The clear tip of the front sight centered from left to right in the fuzzy rear sight aperture."

I always taught my students that if you aren't seeing the front sight, you aren't aiming. Everything else is fuzzy.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:38 pm

Great input lots of experience talking here, will defineatly be useful for me and others, Felt it was a topic worth bringing up-
2 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:02 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 pm
A very good write up regarding target shooting. All excellent points and things I taught in basic marksmanship in the Corps and in Law Enforcement. A couple things to add to help the novice and the experienced shooters alike.

Follow Thru -

Bullet Holes won't disappear if you don't check the shot IMMEDIATELY after squeezing the trigger. HOLD your sight picture through the recoil and for a pause after firing the shot during target shooting and then bring the gun down. The shot is NOT completed until you have Followed thru. If you find that even though your sights are on and most of the shots are centered you still have shots bleeding out the bottom of the target, you are likely "Anticipating" the shot and pushing the muzzle down as you shoot so you can check the score/see the shot. This causes low shots. Follow thru.

Trigger Squeeze -

As stated above, the hand grips the firearm and the trigger finger squeezes or presses the trigger. The trigger squeeze should be similar to using an eye dropper. If you squeeze to hard or too fast the contents of the dropper squirt all over the eye and too much is applied. If you baby the dropper, the drop starts out, then is sucked back in. Starts out again, then is sucked back in. A steady even pressure applied to the dropper will result in ONE drop falling as a surprise into the open eye. A steady even pressure applied to the trigger will result in a smooth surprise break of the trigger. The trigger is pressed straight back. Curling the trigger will result in the shots pulled off target. Left for the Right handed shooter, Right for lefties.

Front Sight -

My mantra, in the back of my mind when competing, after all else is done. Has always been, "Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight." In Fact, across the top of my range clip board in bold letter are the words, "Front Sight."

The Marine Corps taught us in Boot Camp that sight alignment is The clear tip of the front sight centered from left to right in the fuzzy rear sight aperture."

I always taught my students that if you aren't seeing the front sight, you aren't aiming. Everything else is fuzzy.
"Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight." Jeff Cooper. :D
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

bikeridertim
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bikeridertim » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:06 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:50 pm

Follow Thru -

Trigger Squeeze -

Front Sight -

Thank you for the trigger Squeeze info!!
This is the best explanation I have heard or read!
I will remember this next weekend at my bench rest match!
1 x