Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

2023 Range report (not)

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

2023 Range report (not)

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:00 pm

Well I guess the first step to creating a range report is to get signed up for another year at the range. So I did that today. Here is a pic of the club house, 100 yard range and the outdoor pistol range. Not shown is the 200 yard range, the trap range and the indoor pistol range. I found this pic on the clubs website and thought I would share it. Sure wish it was as warm today as when this pic was taken which looks to be late summer/early fall.

I can shoot for free on some DNR land about 10 miles away but it’s a hassle getting set up since it’s gated. I use a dock cart to haul my target stand, bench and gear in but it’s still a pain. 10 years ago the Spokane area had five public places where we could target shoot for free. Slowly four of the five have been closed to shooting. Some due to increased housing built in the area and some to unsafe practices by some POS shooters. All have a big problem with trash, people bring trash like old tv’s to use as targets and just leave the mess. Or simply don’t clean up after themselves leaving targets and other junk behind. Our local guntrader site in cooperation with Washington State DNR has done over a dozen clean ups and that’s always a good time.

So thankfully I have a nice gun club to use for shooting. This picture is credited to one of the range officers whose name ironically is Don Ruger. Gotta love that!

396C55F1-906A-4398-808C-C2F751B05490.png
396C55F1-906A-4398-808C-C2F751B05490.png (2.23 MiB) Viewed 615 times
6 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: 2023 Range report (not)

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:27 pm

Beautiful range.

I've had similar experiences with ranges open to the public and even one club range where there was no supervision and the owner just left it up to club members to supervise themselves. Big mistake. Just takes a few slobs to thoroughly trash a range.

Our present club range is totally different. Anyone who breaks the rules, gets the boot and the rules are very specific as to what can and cannot be used as targets.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:10 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:00 pm
...thankfully I have a nice gun club to use for shooting.
Looks like a very nice well maintained range. What are fees there? Is there a membership waiting list?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm

Looks nice and well maintained.
I am a member of a Sportsman Club that has a range in a rural area outside of a small town. There is a clubhouse and all the ranges are outdoors. A trap range, pistol range, rifle range out to 100 yds, and an archer range. Yearly fee is $40. It is about 12 miles from my house. The local police dept uses our range and the local high school uses the trap range occasionally.
I also have a private range just for family in a wooded area about 3/4 mile from the house.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Very nice facility. You don't mind paying for something that is well maintained and removes those that don't respect what they have.

Paul
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:32 pm

My mentor after I left the Corps was a Police Sergeant in a large PD where I worked as a Dispatcher. He was a former Marine, and built the Department's Training Ranges and ran them for more than a decade... before returning to the streets as a Patrol Sergeant. When I went to Patrol Operations in a smaller Department in the County, he was my "Rabbi," the one I went to for advice. He also got me into PPC competition.

He was the coordinator for a large multi-range complex that was available for membership. The members paid annual fees and had access to Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays, Rifle, Pistol, and Multi-Use ranges that were set up on as needed basis for IDPA, IPSC, Glock (GSSF) Matches, and the like. After a vote by the board and serious fund raising, he coordinated the addition of a multi-lane 25 and 50 yard falling plate range. The rules were clearly posted including the PISTOL Caliber ammunition only rule.

Less than a month after the range was opened, a senior member and his son shot up one plate rack and the base with .223 caliber carbines, denting and puncturing all the plates on the rack and punching holes in the rack frame as well. This rendered the plates and the base unusable as they were unsafe to shoot at in that condition. The member and his son left without notifying the Range HQ of what they had done or policing their .223 brass. They had signed in for use of the ranges but denied, denied, denied, right up to the point that the game cam security videos were shown to the board. They were forced to pay for damages and their memberships were revoked.

This was a worst case scenario. Others left trash on the ranges, from empty ammo boxes to lunch bags and snack wrappers for the volunteers to clean up. They shot target frames and lane numbers, allowed the kids to climb on and damage or deface shooting benches and tables, or trashed the storage buildings. Volunteers maintained the club, no salaried employees painted, mowed or painted. Sad, isn't it?

Glad I've always shot on military ranges until I had my own.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:39 am

Mags wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:10 pm
Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:00 pm
...thankfully I have a nice gun club to use for shooting.
Looks like a very nice well maintained range. What are fees there? Is there a membership waiting list?
Membership is $125.00 per year and there is a $100.00 initiation fee the first year. If you keep your dues current you only pay the $100 once. No waiting list to join and I’m sure the club would like more members. I can’t remember the membership numbers but I believe it’s in the several hundreds. I rarely have to wait to shoot but mostly I go there during the week in the morning.

Late last year the board met and wanted to double the dues to $250.00 but didn’t get a quorum so no vote could be held. At first I was upset about the increase especially right now with all the other inflation about but once I thought about it I came to the realization that inflation was affecting the club too. At $125 per year that’s only $10 per month so double that it’s still just $20 per month. Or, pretty close the cost of Netflix to put it into perspective.
1 x