Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: daily routine

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Range Report: daily routine

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:56 am

-1F and I’m out plinking as part of my daily routine. This time I shot the Uberti at the 15 yard bullet trap. It’s the black one tucked under the pistol. The boot spinners are at 5 yards. The snow is three feet deep here where I’ve shoveled it off the driveway and then scraped it vertical. The ammo was bulk Federal HV. It sure makes a lot of noise compared to SV. Especially from a pistol.
3D16D06A-8707-40B5-BA43-FF6B06AD08DA.jpeg
3D16D06A-8707-40B5-BA43-FF6B06AD08DA.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 510 times
I’m not sure what this dish was meant for but it holds a value pack nicely.
8C17DE51-D9CB-4EBC-9A41-9D02C468AB04.jpeg
8C17DE51-D9CB-4EBC-9A41-9D02C468AB04.jpeg (4.58 MiB) Viewed 510 times
Shooting done and now time for breakfast and then a dump run.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Range Report: daily routine

Post by Oldbrass » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:10 am

Your a dedicated man Gene, nice looking revolver... how long can you shoot til your fingers freeze?
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:28 am

Oldbrass wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:10 am
Your a dedicated man Gene, nice looking revolver... how long can you shoot til your fingers freeze?
As long as I want. Since I shoot 20 feet from my back door I usually will shoot a mag/tube/cylinder and then step inside to reload. If it gets above 20F I’ll usually stay outside to reload. I’ll usually only shoot for 15 minutes and then do something else for an hour and then shoot again for 15 minutes. Sometimes I’ll do this repeat process all day.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:38 am

That sticking the gun out the door for a short shooting session is the way I've been shooting this winter, because we now keep our old dog in the basement in the winter in the same room where my indoor bullet trap is. Poor guy just can't handle the cold the way he could when he was younger.

My shooting is almost entirely with air guns, though. No noise problem, so no need to use hearing protection. Since they are mostly single shots, slower loading and slower shooting pace, so less ammo use. Okay, shooting sessions are pretty short, but I enjoy them a lot and that's what counts.

Since this is all impromptu offhand shooting, the guns I use are all the lighter weight guns. No heavy bench guns for this work.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:24 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:28 am
Oldbrass wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:10 am

You’re a dedicated man Gene, nice looking revolver... how long can you shoot til your fingers freeze?
As long as I want. Since I shoot 20 feet from my back door I usually will shoot a mag/tube/cylinder and then step inside to reload. If it gets above 20F I’ll usually stay outside to reload. I’ll usually only shoot for 15 minutes and then do something else for an hour and then shoot again for 15 minutes. Sometimes I’ll do this repeat process all day.
Now that’s using the ole’ brain. Excellent process that you have the good fortune to employ.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:28 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:38 am
That sticking the gun out the door for a short shooting session is the way I've been shooting this winter, because we now keep our old dog in the basement in the winter in the same room where my indoor bullet trap is. Poor guy just can't handle the cold the way he could when he was younger.

My shooting is almost entirely with air guns, though. No noise problem, so no need to use hearing protection. Since they are mostly single shots, slower loading and slower shooting pace, so less ammo use. Okay, shooting sessions are pretty short, but I enjoy them a lot and that's what counts.

Since this is all impromptu offhand shooting, the guns I use are all the lighter weight guns. No heavy bench guns for this work.
Loading those little pellets single outside can get tricky. I’m finding since I can shoot rimfire and have lots of ammo I’m not shooting pellets nearly as much. My Red Ryder BBgun gets more action because it’s so much easier to cock than my pellets guns.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:57 pm

I load them inside, but with the door open and the barrel pointing outside, not just for ease of loading, but also safety. Obviously, we're only talking about a few shots at a time. We have to pay a heat bill, too. :)
2 x