Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shot myself a couple dozen times today

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Shot myself a couple dozen times today

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:12 pm

Been a couple years since the last time I practiced what I'm not good at. Should do it more often. Practicing draw (pull up T-shirt with left hand) and fire from the hip (retention) while fully clothed and concealed carry. P365. Just dry fire in the bathroom mirror, so don't be callin' 911 on me. ;) :lol:

Then out back with a silhouette on the stump, live fire from about 5 yds. Draw, fire 2, reholster and walk about for a minute or 2 then repeat. Did ok. Fired one mag (12 rnds, 2 at a time). 11 in the black, one way low and left in the stump.

7 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Shot myself a couple dozen times today

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:02 pm

That will take care of social business!
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:18 pm

Second! What forty said.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:28 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:18 pm
Second! What forty said.

RP
There's a lot of different scenarios people should work on (me included). Get yer head out of the square range and bragging about tight groups at 50 yds. That ain't the street. For example, there's a story making the rounds about a woman in Chicago that was targeted for a carjack by 4 hoodrats. She shot one in the head. She caught one in her arm from one of the others.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-woma ... g-man-head
3 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mr. Neutron
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mr. Neutron » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:37 pm

Goood shootin', GunnyGene!!!
And good on you for practicin' this stuff!

It's something I need to do as well......

To save on ammo costs, I do "draw and fire drills" with a laser cartridge, a paper target, & a free smart phone app ("G-Sight LTP"). I did send the G-Sight folks $5 to get the shot timer add on for that program. The Pink Rhino laser cartridge for my little Ruger LCP Max .380 costs $39 on Amazon (same cost for 9mm, and I *think* for .45 ACP). It's a fairly inexpensive way to practice; my setup probably cost about the same as a coupla boxes of ammo, I guess.

I don't do this as often as I should, mostly because just seeing a gun scares the beejeebies outta my dog. He runs for the back bedroom and lies down, shakin' if I just pull a firearm of any sort out. :o He's a great dog, and I hate to do that to him..... :oops:
0 x
Jimmie

An Okie living in Oregon

H009G
H004
H009BG
"Never miss a good chance to shut up." Will Rogers
"It's better to eat yer fruit before ya shoot it." youtuber WHO_TEE_WHO

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:14 am

I used to tell my students in the Academy, and my CCW classes to write this phrase on the front of the three ring binder required for the Academy and recommended for the class. (So later notes and references stayed together.)

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way in which you have been trained."

During the Academy, I insured one of the instructors made them read the phrase out loud to start the day, to emphasize the importance of each days training.

In the last week of the Academy, and just before the end of my one/two day classes, I had them draw a single line thru the word "been.". It dramatically changes the statement.

Now it says:

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way in which YOU have trained."

It reminds them that continued practice and continuing education falls on them. For Officers, we will have some requals, and retraining, but budget and scheduling limits that. For CCW students, I always recommended practice, and additional training. Matches would provide both. Even small local monthly fun matches provide practice and the competition builds skill.

Congrats Gunny on getting out. Skills drills aren't always fun, but they might make a difference one day.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:15 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:14 am
I used to tell my students in the Academy, and my CCW classes to write this phrase on the front of the three ring binder required for the Academy and recommended for the class. (So later notes and references stayed together.)

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way in which you have been trained."

During the Academy, I insured one of the instructors made them read the phrase out loud to start the day, to emphasize the importance of each days training.

In the last week of the Academy, and just before the end of my one/two day classes, I had them draw a single line thru the word "been.". It dramatically changes the statement.

Now it says:

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way in which YOU have trained."

It reminds them that continued practice and continuing education falls on them. For Officers, we will have some requals, and retraining, but budget and scheduling limits that. For CCW students, I always recommended practice, and additional training. Matches would provide both. Even small local monthly fun matches provide practice and the competition builds skill.

Congrats Gunny on getting out. Skills drills aren't always fun, but they might make a difference one day.
There's lots of excuses for not getting regular practice, and I've probably used them all at one time or another. No time, ammo cost, inclement weather (too hot, too cold, too windy, etc), neighbors complain (never used that one here), and so on. In the past, I've offered use of my backyard to a couple friends that were gun owners but never took them out of the sock drawer. None ever took me up on it, and I'm sure they promptly forgot about it.

In general, I think it boils down to the fact that many people simply don't want to get out of their own comfort zone when it comes to defensive shooting. They don't even want to think about ever having to put someone down.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:33 am

I had about a 70 yard range on the farm in VA, and when we sold the farm and moved, a range location was part of the deal in looking for the place in Oklahoma. I have just shy of 100 yards here, but haven't shot much due to health issues. Geez, I broke the left wrist rather badly building the range. :roll:

But... I found the same thing you did. Free range, free professional coaching, and it was rare they would take the time to come out and practice. One of our few neighbors here commented that she needed to learn to shoot the 9mm she bought years ago for protection. (She owns one of those mini-storage businesses). I told her even though I don't teach any longer, for her... I'd be happy to teach a private class.

"I'd have to find some ammo, I only have the seven rounds in the gun." :oops:

That was more than a year ago. :roll:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:45 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:33 am
I had about a 70 yard range on the farm in VA, and when we sold the farm and moved, a range location was part of the deal in looking for the place in Oklahoma. I have just shy of 100 yards here, but haven't shot much due to health issues. Geez, I broke the left wrist rather badly building the range. :roll:

But... I found the same thing you did. Free range, free professional coaching, and it was rare they would take the time to come out and practice. One of our few neighbors here commented that she needed to learn to shoot the 9mm she bought years ago for protection. (She owns one of those mini-storage businesses). I told her even though I don't teach any longer, for her... I'd be happy to teach a private class.

"I'd have to find some ammo, I only have the seven rounds in the gun." :oops:

That was more than a year ago. :roll:
Ayup. :lol:
0 x