Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Glock 23 Report and Range Work

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Glock 23 Report and Range Work

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:04 pm

Headed down to the range today to work on a brass catcher. As it stood if you shot at the 4 to 10 yard range, most of the brass flew off into the weeds and you couldn't find it without a metal detector. (Which, I don't have.) My idea was to put up a tarp, which I had used on my First Range on the very first property after the Corps, a small acre sized lot. The backstop was just tires filled with dirt but it allowed me to practice for the local matches. I strung up the tarp for catching brass from the 45 and it worked well. THAT one I left up.

On my second range on the little farm in the country, the range was manicured and brass was easy to find.

60 yard line.jpg
60 yard line.jpg (202.99 KiB) Viewed 556 times

Here, I put pulleys up in two trees, I can pull the tarp up and move it left to right along the right side of the range to catch the brass from the 3 yard line to the ten. I take it down when not in use as the cows go everywhere on the 20 acres. They are only barred from the 1 acre lot the house sits on.
:evil:
Stupid cows. They get into everything. Waiting to move the dirt I had about fifty tires stacked up in stacks of ten. Cows rubbed on the stacks and knocked them all over. If you park your truck in the field to work, and don't watch it, they will scratch their butts and/or heads on the corners or push bumpers. Cows weigh as much as the truck and can cause body or suspension damage.

brass catcher.jpg
brass catcher.jpg (326.23 KiB) Viewed 556 times

We were fishing in a farm pond in the middle of a 500 acre Black Angus farm and one of the cows decided to scratch HER butt on the push bumper on my 2009 Frontier. The rear of the truck was nearly clearing the ground. I yelled. Nope, still scratching. I slapped the water with the kayak paddle. Nope, really getting into it now. Then I got an idea! :twisted: I pulled the keys out of the waterproof box and hit the alarm button. The Cow leapt in the air and bawled. Then she took off across the pasture, bucking and passing gas for 100 yards. I got a good laugh out of it until we came off the water and I saw the front of the truck. She had sprayed the front of the truck with greenish brown cow ... :roll: ... um... dung? Looked like day old baby poo. push bumper, grill, and the radiator were covered. Guess bossy had the last laugh. I had to take the truck to the car wash and power wash the front to get it clean... nasty. ;) BUT, she didn't damage the shocks, the bumper, or the body work... there's that.

But, I digress. I do that sometimes. (look, a kitty!)

The brass catcher worked rather well. But the wind blew it around some. I had the bottom anchored with bungees. I'll have to use rope. When the wind blew it back, it would dump the brass on the base IN THE weeds. :cry:

We worked on the berm again a couple days ago, once again adding to the thickness and height of the dirt. A couple more days and we'll have moved that last of the pile by the pond. The berm is more than adequate now, and I'm comfortable with it. Once that is done, I can move some steel down, put an extra coat of paint on that I leave on the line, and we'll be good until we get the dump trailer for the dirt up the road at the neighbors. Shooting steel is a blast and a lot less work than setting up for paper.

I set up the target for the G23 at seven yards, however shooting from the left edge across the Hooked berm area, we had about 9 yards. The target is hanging from paracord stretched tight between two of the braces from the wings of the berm. Works good. The target is simply one of the old folders I pulled when I decluttered the files. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. I just traced the base of a shot glass and filled it in with a marker. Target.

seven yard target.jpg
seven yard target.jpg (293.65 KiB) Viewed 556 times

I fired 29 shots, what was left in the last box of fifty we pulled. I'd say I haven't lost too much in the three years I have been unable to shoot. At this distance in my prime that would have been a ragged hole. But, to be fair, the wind was moving the target a bit. I'm good with that.

29 rds 9 yards.jpg
29 rds 9 yards.jpg (144.86 KiB) Viewed 556 times

I also brought the shockwave down to sight in the red dot sight I put on the rail. I was saddened by what I discovered. The first two shots went into the same hole at 15 yards, just needed to moved to center the group. The sad thing? My wrist won't rotate to get a proper grip on the forearm, and every shot causes extreme pain in the wrist area where the break is / was located. I may have to sell/trade the Shockwave just as I got it set up with the TL Tracker forearm with the streamlight built in, the rail, and a single point sling. I can pull the extras off, add a laser and shoot it from the hip I guess... but that wasn't my intention. I'll have to try my full size shotguns, I may not be able to shoot those either. :evil: :cry:

Two of those are NIB, never been fired. Beautiful. Including a beautiful top of the line Stoeger Coach Gun, with the upgraded Furniture and Engraved polished receiver. With the fully stocked guns I should be alright. ;)
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Glock 23 Report and Range Work

Post by dave77 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm

Don't know if this would help but here's an article that shows a couple of angled front grips that will fit the shockwave.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-shockwave-upgrades/
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:53 pm

I’m not sure what I liked better - the range report or the cow story.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:35 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:53 pm
I’m not sure what I liked better - the range report or the cow story.
The cow story, definitely the cow story. :lol:
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Yeah I have done the tarp deal and try to block it down with pieces of lumber at the corners on those windy days. A lot of brass will hit sitting straight up and be hard to see if in the grass. That's the main reason I came up with the catch bag for my Henry rifles and the HiPoint 45 carbine that allows me to move to any position.
Great to see you are now getting out to shoot again! Great job with that Glock 23 too!
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:54 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:21 pm
Don't know if this would help but here's an article that shows a couple of angled front grips that will fit the shockwave.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-shockwave-upgrades/
That might have helped a lot, but Miss Tina loves the Streamlight TL Racker with it's built in light. Any future mods I make will be on a full sized shotgun. :D light, mount for laser... Etc.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:34 pm

I was doing some research, looking for a slug barrel for the 835, still no luck, and came across a magnaported barrel for the Shockwave by Carlson's, available thru Brownell's. Watched some videos, read some reviews. It might not put the shockwave back in my hands due to the forearm angle, but it will reduce recoil for Miss T. I ordered it this morning, due in on the 10th.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts ... 20471.aspx
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:12 am

That magnaported barrel came in yesterday. I was impressed. Installed in two minutes. It's a high quality build and went right on, no issues. When Miss T is up to the testing, we will post a report. All the reviews are good, so I expect no problems. I can say, it looks pretty good on the shockwave.
:D

magnaported barrel installed.jpg
magnaported barrel installed.jpg (272.96 KiB) Viewed 426 times
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:49 pm

That is some impressive shooting, Marine. Enjoyed the post, cow story and all.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:33 pm

Took Tina down today to practice. She has her Oklahoma ccw class Saturday. She did fine for not having shot much in the last three years due to the move. She will be shooting the Glock 23c for the class. She should easily pass.
0 x