Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: Quiet Rimfire

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Range Report: Quiet Rimfire

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 am

I’ve noticed a big difference in noise levels of shooting up against the hill compared to shooting down across the open field. The other day I was shooting with some sand cranes far in the distance and it didn’t seem to bother them. Then late yesterday I shot again with them closer and they flew off.

They weren’t around when I shot today. I’ve been shooting mainly SV 40 grain and 29 grain HV shorts. Not loud on the upper hill but makes a far amount of noise shooting in the open. This morning I shot some 40 grain Quiet and it was noticeable quieter. The problem is I only have about 200 rounds of it. Well that all changed 15 minutes ago when I ordered 10,000 rounds from Midway.

Let the shooting continue.

Today I plunked at 25 yards with the Mares Leg which makes more noise than a rifle. I’m amazed at how fast my accuracy has came back in just a few days of shooting.
2BBAA382-DC91-4D8A-9DD8-37C3131EC154.jpeg
2BBAA382-DC91-4D8A-9DD8-37C3131EC154.jpeg (251.31 KiB) Viewed 281 times
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Range Report: Quiet Rimfire

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:56 am

It's like riding a bike. :)

We shoot the Quiet CCI stuff sometimes, too, in our backyard. I rate it as useable plinking ammo, but definitely not target ammo. That's based on my experience shooting Quiets in several very accurate 22 rifles we own. The problem is shot to shot consistency. Getting 5 good shots in a row to make a decent 5 shot group at 30 yards with that ammo is a challenge. I'll get three in one hole and sometimes even four, but fliers kill the group and the fliers I get with this ammo aren't even close.

Because of this inconsistency, I'd also hesitate to use Quiets for pest control/hunting at other than very close distances. For that kind of work, I'd go to standard CCI SV or the equivalent.

All this said, shooting metal spoons and spinners with the Quiet is fine. That's the way we use it.

Surprisingly, CB Shorts have been more consistent shot to shot ammo at 30 yards in my rifles and they are even quieter than the Quiets. You have to be way of squib loads, though, so I don't use ear protection when shooting CBs. No need, anyway, since CBs out of a rifle are even quieter than most of our air guns.

All this is a heads up when shooting groups with the Quiets. Don't be in a hurry to blame the gun or your shooting with this ammo when you get those fliers.
3 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Range Report: Quiet Rimfire

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:17 pm

We must have been tuned in to same channel as I shot some CCI .22 Quiets today. 10,000 rounds ought to keep you going for a while Gene!
0 x