Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Found My Squib Load today

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Found My Squib Load today

Post by Headhog » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:04 pm

A few weeks ago I was loading some 357 Mag loads for steel plate plinking. While loading a batch of 200 rounds, I pulled a cartridge from the press to check the powder charge. Charge weight was perfect so I put the cartridge back in the press and continued. Now you have to realize I load all my pistol caliber ammo. on a progressive press. I use a powder check die to make sure there are no grossly over or under charges, but the pulled case came from the last seating/crimp station after the powder check.

After a half dozen or more rounds fell into the catch bin, I happened to glance at my balance scale. I noticed it was at zero, it should have been arm down. Now I realized I goofed. I forgot to return the last charge, I measured, back to case. So now I had a bin with about 100 rounds and one squib. Now what do I do? I decided I was not going to take apart those loads trying to find a squib. I finished reloading the rest and boxed them up with a label that either box of 100 round might have a squib.

Well today at the range about 2/3 through the first box I heard a very mild pop. Sure enough my squib showed up. I had loaded it into my Cimarron Pistolero. The cylinder was locked tight with the bullet between the cylinder and the forcing cone. I was prepared with my brass rod and hammer. A few gentle taps, put the bullet back enough to free the cylinder. With that round removed I continued my shooting fun.

I'm not sure how I missed returning the charge to the case. I don't recall being distracted or maybe I was just going too fast. Once I realized my mistake' I took steps to assure there were no surprises at the range. I had all the tools with me to drive a round out of the bore or either firearm.

All in all, i had a fun day dinging the steel with both my Henry BBS and the Cimarron. Because I was prepared my squib load didn't spoil the day.

Paul
6 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Found My Squib Load today

Post by Cofisher » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Good recovery.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:50 pm

Paul, excellent preparedness. Sqibs are very dangerous.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:56 pm

Glad you found it. Shooting a revolver in this case was smart. A semi might have been a disaster.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:39 pm

Glad you found it the easy way.
Good to be prepared, and a miner set back.
Nothing like ringing the steel, good to see ya had a good day.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:42 pm

I've had a few of those in my life. The last one was not one of my loads. It was a 38 wadcutter. I fired the gun, and nothing went thwack against the cardboard. The recoil felt fine. I popped the cylinder, and ejected the rounds. While looking the gun over and spy the wadcutter hanging out the end of my 686's 3 inch barrel. A little wiggle and it popped out.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:13 am

Thanks for sharing your story. It’s a good reminder for all of us.
1 x