Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Model Ruger Bearcat

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

New Model Ruger Bearcat

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:20 pm

We've slowly been easing back into burning powder after a long layoff due to Covid as well as taking a long layoff after purging most of our powder burning guns a couple years back. We did keep our favorite cartridge guns, though, and one of those was this mint condition original Ruger Bearcat 22 LR made in 1970. Even have the original box. Won't part with this one.

I've had a long love affair with this little single action 22 LR since I shot the first one back in the 60s. The little BC has a rep for being hard to shoot, but in my experience with over a half a dozen Bearcats over the years, the Bearcat is actually an inherently very accurate little revolver. It's the Bearcats small size and tiny sights that make it a challenge to shoot up to its accuracy potential.

As much as I love those Ruger Old Model single actions like the little Bearcat above, I like to back them up with one of the New Model versions to save wear and tear on the originals. Thus I've been on the prowl to add a New Model Bearcat this last year. Any of you been trying to buy a revolver, recently? Well, good luck getting a new one. Found a used stainless New Model Bearcat a couple weeks, ago, but the owner was asking more than the new price because there's nothing available new. No thanks.

Stopped at my favorite LGS this morning, though, and low and behold, there was a used 2019 vintage Bearcat for sale that showed no evidence of having been fired. Better yet, the action and the trigger were excellent and, even better, got it for a very reasonable price. (By the way, don't confuse the Bearcat with the Ruger Wrangler. The Bearcat is heads and shoulders better in construction quality than the cheaper Wrangler.)

Here it is, Old Model on top with the New Model below.

The gun even came with a handmade leather holster for the Bearcat made by Leatherwork Holsters.

Just how small id the Bearcat? Here it next to my Cimarron 357.

Okay, a revolver with fixed sights is always something of an unknown when you buy it as to where the gun shoots. You just hope you get one that shoots reasonably close to your point of aim. Time to go shoot the newly acquired Bearcat.

Not to worry, this one is perfect using a dead on hold at 16 yards with Eley Subsonic 22 LR HPs. For testing purposes, I just sat in a lawn chair at that distance and rested my forearm on one knee, not too different from the way I would shoot this little gun in the field without the lawn chair. (The steel 22 LR bullet trap I use tends to spray the paper targets with lead fragments.)

Also did well with CB 22 Shorts (shot lower) and CCI SV (shot a little higher), but doubt I'll find anything better than the Eley for this little jewel of a gun.

Yup, I am one happy cowgirl. :)
11 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New Model Ruger Bearcat

Post by Headhog » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:03 pm

Nice score there NCG. Ruger makes a fine 22 in the Bearcat. They show up on our in state gun trade and the prices are all over the map. From fair to ridiculous in what folks are asking for them. I guess right now all handgun prices are inflated. If you see a reasonable priced one, the time to jump on it is now. I don't think things are going to get better anytime soon.

Paul
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:22 pm

Congratulations on your find. Sometimes you stumble across just what you are looking for if you are patient. Nice gun and nice shooting.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:23 pm

Thanks, guys. Yes, supply is tight right now, especially on revolvers. Got very lucky on this one.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:10 pm

Congrats NCG 22 pistols are just plain good old fashion fun
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:23 pm

Thanks, Al. The little Bearcat also makes a great kit gun to take along camping and so on.
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:15 pm

It certainly is purty! Great looking holster as well, maybe a bit of antiquing would match it to the gun better.
As always excellent shooting by our lady of the frozen northlands.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:00 am

Thanks, Seabee. For now, I'm going to just let he leather age on its own. We'll see how it goes.

I should have added just how much I enjoyed shooting a single action, again, after such a long layoff. Not going to let things go so long, again.
0 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 am

Very nice revolver and great shooting as usual.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:03 am

Can't wait to get my range finished and get back to shootin.
Great report Ma'am.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.