Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range Report: bloomin’ and boomin’

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Range Report: bloomin’ and boomin’

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:52 pm

Not to worry, just a matter of practice. You'll get there.
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 pm

I like seeing everyones pictures. Gene, that is a pretty place you got. I'm new on here but I been seeing all the work you putting in. With open sights, I can't see good enough to shoot past 25-30 yds or so. Y'all don't seem to have a problem. That's partly why I shoot the 410 more these days.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:51 pm

graywolf wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 pm
I like seeing everyones pictures. Gene, that is a pretty place you got. I'm new on here but I been seeing all the work you putting in. With open sights, I can't see good enough to shoot past 25-30 yds or so. Y'all don't seem to have a problem. That's partly why I shoot the 410 more these days.
Thanks. I can see good enough usually. Sometimes I have floaters. I build myself up with high expectations and then choke up. I shoot my best when I care less. For example I shot again in the afternoon and accepted the fact I wasn’t going to do very well and then surprised myself. Not spectacular shooting but tons better.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:38 pm

Shooting is one of the best examples of a "just do it" sport.

The only "thinking" I do when taking a shot is 110% focus on the sight/target. Clear the mind of everything else and just concentrate on the sight picture. That concentration continues as the gun fires; it continues through the recoil and doesn't stop till the pellet/bullet hits the target. Nothing interrupts this, not even a conscious thought to pull the trigger. Breaking your concentration with a mental command to pull the trigger is not good trigger control. In fact, thinking "trigger" when you need to be focused on the sight/target is a good way to develop a flinch or other bad shooting habits.

This trigger control is hard to believe/explain but it comes with practice. With all my concentration on the sight picture, just before the shot, I then give my brain permission to pull the trigger when the time comes. I then go right back to 110% focus on the sight/reticle. With practice, I can focus entirely on the sight/target and and the actual trigger pull takes care of itself when needed. I have faith that this will happen because I've practiced it enough and done it enough. Nothing breaks my concentration, not the trigger pull, not the recoil, not the noise of the shot, not the bullet hitting the target. Nothing. I'm holding that focus through it all. (The shot is NOT over when the gun fires. Recoil and bullet impact on target are part of the shot, not aftereffects.)

This sounds like some kind of magic to a beginner, but it's learnable. When taking a shot, If you are thinking about pulling the trigger or your grip or your placement of the stock on your shoulder or your breathing or any other aspect of shooting technique or outside thoughts about your grocery shopping or even how the shot will go, you've broken your concentration on the sight/target. That concentration IS the shot. Everything else is just technique.

Just do it. Easy, right?
4 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:10 pm

You do make it sound easy, but you couldn't explain it any better. I do shoot better if I been shooting same gun for a while. Maybe without realizing it, Im more comfortable with it and don't think as much about other things. I remember when as a kid I went squirrel hunting with an uncle. He had a bolt action .22 and when he was ready to shoot, he would put gun to shoulder, aim and fire in one motion. Almost soon as gun touched shoulder he shot. I don't remember him ever missing one. All of you that post your pictures of targets make me wonder whether to post mine.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:07 pm

graywolf wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:10 pm
You do make it sound easy, but you couldn't explain it any better. I do shoot better if I been shooting same gun for a while. Maybe without realizing it, Im more comfortable with it and don't think as much about other things. I remember when as a kid I went squirrel hunting with an uncle. He had a bolt action .22 and when he was ready to shoot, he would put gun to shoulder, aim and fire in one motion. Almost soon as gun touched shoulder he shot. I don't remember him ever missing one. All of you that post your pictures of targets make me wonder whether to post mine.
The fact that you put holes in paper is a credit to you. Post away...no shame here, only helpful advise if you want it. ☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Plus one, do post pics. We're friends here.

That snap the gun to your shoulder and shot was a common way of shooting back in the old days. I can see where it would be very useful for putting meat on the table.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:09 pm

Yup post away with pictures we like pictures. Nobody here is going to tear you apart about your targets.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 pm

I was hoping to have a picture or two of a target today, but after putting a plywood floor in utility trailer, and my A/C in shop stopped cooling, I decided to come inside and cool off.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:30 am

graywolf wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:10 pm
Feel free to post away. It’s also common and accepted to post on someone else’s post. We are friends and family here and not territorial like some forums.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater