Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

HMR accuracy

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Cattle Driver
Australia

HMR accuracy

Post by 220 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:45 pm

Going through some old photos and found this one from a few years back. CCI 20gr TNT HP load from my sako quad, it was the first time I had tried the 20gr load, Targets are 2" with a 1" inner circle at 100m so about 110y. Scope is a 3-9x
Had a 200m rimfire match on the day and both the kids wanted to shoot so we shot one group each to see if there was any difference in the point of impact between us. Was good enough for a 1st and 3rd in the 200m match later in the day.

as a side note the following year we shot the match with the same rifle but with the 22mag barrel and finished 1st 2nd & 3rd.
6 x

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: HMR accuracy

Post by zara_puppy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:42 pm

That’s some fine shooting.
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:35 pm

What rifle? Reason I ask is being retired and the hassle of getting reloading components I’m probably going to get out of center fires and move to rimfire. Been looking for a nice rifle with a wood stock that I easily scope.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:24 am

He mentioned a Sako Quad but I’m not familiar with this rifle.

1st, 2nd, 3rd… way to keep it in the family. :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:08 am

The Sake Quad is a bolt action rimfire with a great rep for accuracy. My equivalent would be our best CZ bolt rimfires. Not surprised at such groups, but that still takes some excellent work by the shooter to get it done.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:15 pm

Jdl447 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:35 pm
What rifle? Reason I ask is being retired and the hassle of getting reloading components I’m probably going to get out of center fires and move to rimfire. Been looking for a nice rifle with a wood stock that I easily scope.
A link to the sako site https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-quad#rifles

Mine is the synthetic combo, the quad is a switch barrel rifle, the combo comes with 17M2 17HMR 22LR & 22mag barrels in a fitted case. A barrel change takes seconds, obviously each barrel needs to be zeroed individually but removing and replacing barrels has no effect on the point of impact. I have shot 1/2" groups at 50 with the barrel removed and replaced between every shot.
Mine will shoot MOA with all 4 barrels, with the 22lr I have found to get consistent moa performance you really need to be using match grade ammo. Cheaper ammo will produce some exceptional groups but does not have the consistency, I have shot groups at 50 under 0.2" with cheaper ammo the next group is just as likely to be 1" as 0,2" Quality match ammo wont result in your best groups being any better but your worst groups will be significantly better and not much larger than the best. It does come at a price and match ammo is not cheap.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/lapua-ammu ... long-rifle

Mine will average around 0.9moa with Lapua Center X, by average I mean the average of 50 shots, 10x 5 shot groups, The Lapua Midas shoots a little better and the X Act better again averaging just under 0.8moa. If you think the prices in the above link are scary here in Aus you can add 50% to those prices.

17HMR will give similar accuracy to the entry level 22LR target ammo at a similar price but far better ballistics making shooting to 200 far easier.

I got a very good deal on the combo, picked it up for a similar price to what a single caliber rifle and one additional barrel would cost. My original plan was just 22LR & 17HMR but the additional 22mag and 17M2 barrels do add variety to my shooting options. The quad certainly isnt cheap but I am yet to hear of anyone that hasnt been satisfied with the performance. Plenty of aftermarket parts available as well, I have had a trigger spring kit sitting for 10 years that I still havent fitted just havent felt the need, I did consider a Lilja match barrel but their accuracy guarantee is less than I already get from the factory barrel.
Hatchdog wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:24 am
He mentioned a Sako Quad but I’m not familiar with this rifle.

1st, 2nd, 3rd… way to keep it in the family. :D
Was very happy with it but more a reflection of the rifle than any of us being exceptional shooters, The most impressive thing about it was it was done using the 22mag that has a bit of a reputation for being inaccurate while everyone else was using HMR's or target quality 22LR's.
It is a annual match so only shot once a year but we have used the rifle in all 4 configurations 17M2, 17HMR 22LR and 22mag and at least one of us has finished on the podium every year.

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:08 am
The Sake Quad is a bolt action rimfire with a great rep for accuracy. My equivalent would be our best CZ bolt rimfires. Not surprised at such groups, but that still takes some excellent work by the shooter to get it done.
Rifle just shoots so the biggest challenge is wind despite all the claims about the little 17's being wind sensitive they are far less effected than the 22LR or even 22mag. You can see a little horizontal dispersion in those groups where we didnt quite read the wind correctly but had we been using the 22LR under the same conditions I expect the groups would have been 50% larger despite the 22LR offering similar accuracy. The bottom group is my daughter who would have been 15 or 16 at the time with not a lot of shooting experience and paid little attention to the wind and it caught her on a couple of shots.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:59 pm

For sure, I'll take the 17 HMR over the 22 LR for 100 yard work.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:14 am

Thanks for the Sako link. I have a match centerfire rifle for sale/trade here locally and I’m hoping to replace it with a precision rimfire. I’ll have to check the LGS’s for Sako offerings.
0 x