Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The silent treatment on the HiPoint Carbine today....Video added

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

The silent treatment on the HiPoint Carbine today....Video added

Post by fortyshooter » Tue May 17, 2022 4:02 pm

Well today was the day to try out the Banish 45 silencer I have waited 1 year and a month for. About 80F and a ton of sun which came into play in a bad way!
First I took some target shots without the silencer on the 45 HiPoint carbine to see where it was hitting and it was on center but just a touch low.
Then screwed on the Banish can and fired several shots to find it now shot to the right and lower which is common. Made needed elevation and windage adjusments on the 10 year old EoTech sight and had it on center.

Then some issues popped up with the EoTech unit not able to stay bright enough with the very bright sun shining today. I would have dialed up but it would fade out when trying to see the dot on the bright yellow target. Then the carbine was having a few fail to feed issues with the magazines and the were very hot from the sun shining on them. Today with the extremely bright sun anything black was HOT! My ipad camera was kicking off from the heat so I took one of the pictures inside the house today.

Finally the mag issue straightend out and went on blasting the steel. Now the silencer was fairly quiet but the sound of that 230 gr. 45 slug hitting the steel was really loud and you don't notice that when wearing ear protection and with blast of unsilenced gun. You really get to hear how powerful a 45 hit can be! I did start to make a video but with the sight and cycling issues it was getting to long. Also the GoPro camera does not give the real level of sound from the rifle shot and the sound of the steel hit. Sounded like a normal range day without a silencer on on the video play back.
You really hear the carbine action cycle and a very muted blast then the sound of the steel hit almost has your ears ringing...it is loud.
Very happy with the way the Banish 45 performed and will run the HiPoint silenced again next time out.

Also brought along my Ruger Mini14 which has been sitting in gun cab a long time. It came back to life without a hitch running a full mag of 5.56 and right on target with it's Eotech sight which is a new unit. Might have to send the other one in for a freshen up after 10 years of use.

So what did it sound like with silencer shooting steel? Well go in your back yard and hang a AR500 gong plate. Fire of a pellet rifle and then with the biggest sledge hammer you can swing hit the steel plate. That's close to what it is like. My ears were ringing a bit after shooting!! :lol:
Short video clip showing sounds. https://youtu.be/7i7LmPGbaF0
Attachments
suppressor installed shots hit to right and low. Adjusted to hit in red..jpg
suppressor installed shots hit to right and low. Adjusted to hit in red..jpg (230.69 KiB) Viewed 458 times
HiPoint Carbine without suppressor.jpg
HiPoint Carbine without suppressor.jpg (132.77 KiB) Viewed 458 times
good cluster there in red.jpg
good cluster there in red.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 458 times
after many months of sitting the Mini 14 was right there first shots fired.jpg
after many months of sitting the Mini 14 was right there first shots fired.jpg (194.64 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Last edited by fortyshooter on Tue May 17, 2022 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: The silent treatment on the HiPoint Carbine today....

Post by Cofisher » Tue May 17, 2022 4:16 pm

Thanks for the review. It looks like it will take some getting used to.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Tue May 17, 2022 4:42 pm

Nice job Forty. Glad to see that Banish performed as it should. Good range report, but a video would be the icing on the cake.

Paul
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue May 17, 2022 5:40 pm

Headhog wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:42 pm
Nice job Forty. Glad to see that Banish performed as it should. Good range report, but a video would be the icing on the cake.

Paul
I have about 4 minute clip of video I will post up tonight. The sound of the carbine is a touch louder than it really is in person and the steel hits are much louder. Just the way this GoPro reproduces the sound or it is my sound system on the computer.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 17, 2022 5:45 pm

fortyshooter wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:02 pm
Very happy with the way the Banish 45 performed and will run the HiPoint silenced again next time out.
that is truly good to hear and is all that matters 8-)
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: The silent treatment on the HiPoint Carbine today....Video added

Post by fortyshooter » Tue May 17, 2022 7:33 pm

Just added a short video clip at end of report. You can tell it is quiet since there is no echo effect of the sound moving away.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Wed May 18, 2022 10:14 am

I went out to take a few vids of my bnt, with my form 1, but all I have is supersonic ammo. 8-inch barrel even factory 230 goes super. So it is quite a bit louder. When I have some time I will load some 230 ball at about 900fps.

You mentioned your issue with it not cycling. Often that can be the blowback fouling that causes that. If the rifle is clean and lubed, then it might also be the bolt cycling too fast. It isn't picking up the round properly.

I've had that issue with an FM9, and the BNT when running stupid hot 185grn +P+ out of it.

Other than that the rifle sounds pretty spiffy with the can on it. About what my 45 colt's sound like out of my form 1. Welcome to the club!

forgive the range, I am in the process of rebuilding it this summer.
https://youtu.be/zCJ6rej3trk
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed May 18, 2022 10:38 am

Going to fix the sight issues and do another serious range test. Just ordered a Long Shot aluminum sight rail to replace the plastic one and will swap on the newer EoTech sight from my Mini 14. Will do target shots from 10 and 40 yds. and see if it stays on target plus shoot from inside my cabin out to the target and see what the sound level would be like in a home self defense situation.
Also a gel block test to see if XTP bullet performance is the same.

Yes that did sound a bit louder on your range test. One thing I noticed on my test was no sound of the shot echo going thru the woods.
1 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Wed May 18, 2022 5:48 pm

Good video Forty. It gives you a sense of how the can quiets the 45 ACP. Looks like you have some interesting testing plans ahead. I'm looking forward to progress reports with the gel lock tests.

Paul
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed May 18, 2022 7:39 pm

Headhog wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:48 pm
Good video Forty. It gives you a sense of how the can quiets the 45 ACP. Looks like you have some interesting testing plans ahead. I'm looking forward to progress reports with the gel lock tests.

Paul
Thanks! The sound of the steel was much louder in person. My older EOTech sight has issues when it is exposed to warm/hot temps. It does not turn on
until it cools down. EOTech has a repair service for them.
1 x