Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is it grips....loads or something else with the SW Model 69?

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Is it grips....loads or something else with the SW Model 69?

Post by fortyshooter » Mon May 09, 2022 6:04 pm

Have had this S&W 69 44 mag revolver for a good while and I remember it shooting right most of the time. It had seen 2 trips back to Smith to fix some issues when new and those were fixed. However I wanted to take it out today and make a grip change and try different loads to see what it likes.

So I swapped on the Hogue wood grips from my SW Model 25-7 revolver and was going to test those compared to the factory rubber grips which are slimmer in size and then put the factory grips on. Ammo was MB 240 gr. SWC loaded with 9 gr. of Unique...230 gr lead SWC Matt's Bullets loade over 9 gr. Unique and my sweet 200 gr Xtreme Plated load with 9 gr. Unique that shoots very well in my 1873 Uberti Winchester.

First target on top left was with the wood grips one and two handed shooting and then lower left same grip with the 200 gr. Xtreme load.
To sum it all up quick all loads and grips still shot right but with some giving good groups. Then I look and notice the barrel is clocked or canted to the left the way it returned form S&W. Well now that will do it to you for sure!

So I grabbed my small screwdriver and moved the rear sight to the left coast! Bingo right in the red zone no matter which grip used! Happy day here again!! Then I tried 5 rounds of my HOT 180 gr. XTP loads and the ground shakes when you touch off those! Three on the plate target hit home and the other two put a hurt on the steel swinging plates!
Now we have a nice shootin' L frame 44 Mag shooter!! Plus don't have to buy new grips! :D
Attachments
grips loads or something else.jpg
grips loads or something else.jpg (160.19 KiB) Viewed 391 times
good day of testing the Model 69 44 Mag.jpg
good day of testing the Model 69 44 Mag.jpg (196.22 KiB) Viewed 391 times
3 shots of hot 180 gr XTP Butt Kickers.jpg
3 shots of hot 180 gr XTP Butt Kickers.jpg (142.72 KiB) Viewed 391 times
great 44 shooter now.jpg
great 44 shooter now.jpg (164.08 KiB) Viewed 391 times
2 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Is it grips....loads or something else with the SW Model 69?

Post by DsGrouse » Mon May 09, 2022 6:17 pm

This is going to sound silly, but I've had similar issues. Problem? i am getting older, my left eye has stayed constant over the last 20 years. the right eye has gotten worse. I've almost defaulted to being cross eye dominant. Most of my pistol sights are adjusted all the way to the left
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon May 09, 2022 7:24 pm

Yep somtimes I wonder about that myself but today it was the barrel being canted to the left just a bit as you can see. The barrel is actually a shroud that fits over the actual barrel. The front sight base is one with the shroud and can't be moved so had to crank the rear sight over.
Attachments
SW Model 69 barrel canted to the left.jpg
SW Model 69 barrel canted to the left.jpg (226.93 KiB) Viewed 381 times
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon May 09, 2022 8:34 pm

Love the 180 grain XTP butt kickers. :)

I've been cross eyed dominant all my life, but it's never bothered my rifle or handgun shooting. In fact, using my regular right hand hold, I sometimes switch from my right eye to my left eye during pistol shooting sessions when my right eye gets tired. No significant shift in point of impact, either.

I do like the looks of wood grips, but do prefer those Smith rubber grips on the hard kickers. I stay with wood, though, on the single actions. Just can't bring myself to stick "retread" grips on a single action.
2 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon May 09, 2022 10:29 pm

Well from what I have read if a wood grip fits your hand correctly it will spread out the hurt from a hard kicking round. To narrow a girp will concentrate it into a narrow area. The wood grips used today are by Hogue that came on my S&W 25-7 45 revolver and they fit my hand well.

The rubber cushion grips do have a place though such as those used on the Ruger .454/45 Alaskan which I like.

Those 180 XTP loads of mine were something alright in that L frame Model 69 and the report was twice as loud. The revolver took it all and tight as ever! Not going to bother sending it back thru Smith to get the barrel correctly clocked as they might screw up someplace else.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 am

You are tougher than me Forty. Aint none of those grips fit my hand of those big boomer guns anymore
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 am

I’ve never cared for the look of rubber grips/stocks yet have owned several and like how they feel in my hands. Not just to soften the grip but also having a non-slippery grip.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue May 10, 2022 10:19 am

180 XTP Buttkickers = ouch!

Love the comments. :lol:

Never cared for the Smith & Wesson rubber grips they ship on some guns. Too narrow and slippery. I have replaced them with Hogue rubber grips which are more “cushioney” and hand filling.
1 x