Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

AR's to the Range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

AR's to the Range

Post by Headhog » Wed May 04, 2022 2:46 pm

Yesterday I took two of my AR's to the range for some fun. First up was my DPMS AR-308 with 2-10X Vortex scope. I first fired a 5 shot group at 100 yds. The group was a little high and right. So after some minor scope adjustments I was shooting the center out of the target. So I decide to move on the the steel targets at the 200 yd. line. First I fired at the 12" square plate and watched it jump. Then I moved over to the 10" round plate and watched it jump. Now I was feeling brave and decided to go after the 8" round plates. My first shot missed and i was disappointed. Then I realized I must have shot under, because I did not allow for any bullet drop. Moved my crosshairs to the top of the plate and bingo - good hit. After 41 rounds (that's what was in that box) my shoulder was getting tired so I moved on to the AR-Pistol.

When i started out, at 50 yards, my group was 3" high and 2" right. This AR has only had about 80 rounds through it, since putting it together. After several adjustments to the red dot, I had the group in the center. The red dot is 1X - 2 MOA dot, so at 50 yds., on a 5" black center bullseye you don't have much black showing around the dot. after putting up a new target I carefully fired 25 rounds from rest. When I measured the group I had a maximum spread of 3 1/2" and this is from an 8 1/2" AR pistol.

Before I finished up, I had 20 more rounds of .223 left so I put up another target and move it down to 75 yds. That AR pistol still kept those 20 rounds in a 6" group at that distance. To say I please with that pistol, I put together this past Christmas, is an understatement. I burned up 100 rounds of .223 and not one misfeed or malfunction. I think we have a winner here. :D

Paul
3 x