Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Yesterdays shooting

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Yesterdays shooting

Post by bandit1250 » Tue May 18, 2021 9:42 am

My friend came out to go shoot with me yesterday. He called and said he had a problem with a striped out scope ring screw. It was on a Talley vertical split steel ring where the lower screw was rounded out from a not very good fitting bit. I ended up drilling the hole in the screw deeper and driving a bit down into the new hole and got it out. The holes in the screws were so shallow the bit had almost nothing to hold it from stripping out when any torque was applied. It was on his Falcon bench rest rifle he was wanting to change scopes on. I really don't like vertical split rings and these Talley rings don't impress me at all for the prices they charge for them.
So we made it to the range an hour late but the wind had not changed from the calm conditions. He had his Falcon and a Winchester Miroku built 1885 that he never got to shoot after having problems with both red dot sights he had with him. I had three CZ Grand Finale rifles which I did shoot only two of them. Both shot well as usual until the number five GF got really dirty from several trips to the range with four or five different brands of ammo being fired in it with no cleaning. I then cleaned it and after a few fouling shots it was shooting the small groups it normally will shoot under the conditions we had yesterday. SK is still the best with RWS and CCI standards right up there close. I have seven different lot numbers of SK and they all shoot very good but the RWS and CCI with not as many lot numbers the best shooting lot numbers will be maybe two numbers out of five with very good accuracy. The two lots of CCI that shoot the best would be CCI ammo that any one would like to have. I have about three or four bricks left for each number. I have a few lot numbers that has never been tried in the CZ GF rifles that I will try on a still day. I think the CZ rifles are liking the CCI ammo and if things get back to normal they could be a cheaper alternative to the higher priced SK. Good shooting to my fellow members. Take care
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Yesterdays shooting

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 18, 2021 11:01 am

I also like CCI in a wide range of our guns. The only issue for me has been an occasional lack of consistency, but that's to be expected with the price. SK and RWS and some Eley have been consistently the best in our CZs.

How did your friend's 1885 shoot?
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 18, 2021 11:11 am

You have good taste in ammo. I shoot the same stuff in my CZs.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:01 pm

Good to see you getting out and shooting regularly Bandit. I was able to get out recently also and enjoyed shooting the 22's. Dont be afraid to send along some target pics for your shooting if you wish.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55