Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Back to basics

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Back to basics

Post by bandit1250 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:51 am

I had two range trips so far this week. Monday was a better day to shoot as far as wind but yesterday was a few degrees warmer. Both days were for single shot rifles only. They were all Remington models. Monday I took 3 Rem. 510X rifles and one of my Rem. 540 target rifles. Was nice to shoot the older single shots and easier on the amount of ammo fired. Amazing how much the single shots slow down the pace. I love the singles.
I switched out scopes on the three 510 rifles from fixed 4X Leupolds to a like new Weaver 3-9X32 AO and another I put a Leupold fixed 6X I set the parallax myself for 55 yds. The third I put a 2-7 Leupold on it with the parallax reset to 55 yds. The 540 is mounted with a fixed 16X Leupold.
The bore sighting I did at the range sighting through the bore came out real close on the three 510's. Actually surprised myself at that. Those three shot their best groups right at a 1/2" with the ammo they preferred. The 510X rifles seem to like CCI standards well. I did have some ammo they didn't like that strayed out to a inch or slightly over. Probably could be "minute of squirrel accuracy" in a pinch. The 510X guns liking the CCI ammo will be less money per round than the SK. The 540X shot great as usual with SK standard plus. It liked the new lot number also. One surprise was the Weaver is a scope I found out pretty quick I hate. Never could get it focused to my eyes. The last 2 Weavers I have owned have not been good. The other was a T-24.
Took three rifles yesterday after switching out the Weaver for a 3-9X Leupold after resetting the parallax for 55 yds. So much better than the Weaver except the clicks feel less defined than the Weaver. I actually prefer the old friction Leupolds to the clicks especially on a VX-I. The VX-II is far better clicks at least on the ones I have. One of the 510X rifles I shot yesterday is my number 4 of my 510X rifles and that is where it ranks in accuracy. I have a few things to try on it to maybe improve the accuracy. It shot most around an a inch but some out to a 1 1/4". The 540 XR was doing its thing well but not quite as well as the 540X the day before that was better conditions. The SK magazine is not as accurate as the SK standard plus yellow box. I won't buy any more SK Magazine unless it is cheaper later which I doubt we see that any time soon.
2 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Back to basics

Post by Rifletom » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:18 am

bandit, what do you believe is the issue with those Weavers? Thanks.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:04 pm

Scopes to me are a personal thing. I like Burris. Always have. One reason is the factory is right in town here. I have had issues with one before and it was fixed right away and I didnt need to ship anything.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:42 pm

I have always liked the ElPaso Weavers. Liked until I looks through some modern Leupolds and Nikons.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 pm

Great report, bandit.

I do like the new Leupold Freedom line, but I still prefer the old gloss Leupolds and now prices have gone nuts on them. Should have bought more of them when I had the chance. Same with the Nikon Rimfires. Oh, well.

Our weather so far this week has been miserable with temps in the 30s and occasional snow squalls all day. It's been indoors with the air guns so far this week for shooting.

I always love it when I get great accuracy with affordable ammo like CCI SV. We still have our three very best CZs to shoot, but they like the Eley, SK and RWS 22 ammo and I don't want to shoot up what we have left for ammo until I can replace at a more reasonable cost.

The Winchester/Miroku Low Wall Rimfires, though, do well with a wide variety of ammo, but the trade off is that they won't keep quite up with the CZs for group size. That's oaky, because they are still pleasingly accurate and we love the shooting experience they provide.

Other than a vintage Browning T bolt and a couple of 22 rifles Bill inherited, that's all we have left for rimfires to shoot. Everything else we sold off.
2 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:29 am

Rifletom wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:18 am
bandit, what do you believe is the issue with those Weavers? Thanks.
The problem with the 3-9x32 was the reticle was out of focus if the target was clear. I tried to clear the focus of the reticle with the ocular adjustment and it never would get sharp for me. Stayed slightly blurred. Tried tweaking the parallax adjustment to see if that helped and then I had parallax and still a blurred reticle. If I send it back they will send a low end Bushnell in return. Maybe someone can get it clear to their eyes but I am not being aggravated no more with bad optics. The old El Paso Weavers never gave me problems but I admit the newer scopes are usually more clear but some have other issues other than clarity. Most cheap scopes with AO have issues when moving the parallax adjustment.
The T-24 I never liked from day one. It was a scope that for some reason gave me a head ache after using it for any length of time at the range. It was pretty clear and had very positive clicks on the adjustments but was not accurate on click values. I don't miss that one at all. My 16x Leupold is far better than the Weaver T-16. I probably will stay away from Weaver scopes. I know you can get bad items from any company but I will stick with Leupold for now. Plenty of folks like the Weavers so there is still a demand for them. Maybe they will make a come back. I would be more happy if Nikon got back in the scope business than Weaver.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 am

Ok, thanks for the reply bandit. Was just curious to the problem. Thanks again for the explanation.
0 x