Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Winchester 1873 Trapper

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Winchester 1873 Trapper

Post by Headhog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:02 pm

That is one great looking Winchester. Good luck with it.

I wouldn't fret too much about the W231 powder loads. That's a fairly fast burning powder and some rifles don't like that. I tried some TiteGroup loads for my BBS and Rossi R92 in 357 Mag. The results were nothing to right home about. I've settled on 6.0 of Universal for both rifles. Much better group size than the TiteGroup and very pleasant to shoot.

Paul
0 x

wolfman
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Winchester 1873 Trapper

Post by wolfman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:22 pm
Sure enough Wolfman, I have a friend that is in search for an original in 32-20.
He has an 1892 in the caliber and is looking to add the '73'.
Hope he's able to find a good one! For practical reasons (not a good time to source components) glad this one is a 357, have pretty good stores of all that is needed. That said, the next one will be chambered in one of the original offerings.
Headhog wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:02 pm
That is one great looking Winchester. Good luck with it.

I wouldn't fret too much about the W231 powder loads. That's a fairly fast burning powder and some rifles don't like that. I tried some TiteGroup loads for my BBS and Rossi R92 in 357 Mag. The results were nothing to right home about. I've settled on 6.0 of Universal for both rifles. Much better group size than the TiteGroup and very pleasant to shoot.
Very good observation... powders are nearly opposite ends of the spectrum. W231 one of the fastest, IMR 4227 probably the slowest practical for use in 357 Magnum.
1 x