Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Contender fun, back to basics

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Contender fun, back to basics

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am

Oh, I love our revolvers, bolt guns and classic falling block single shots, but when I just want to keep it simple and basic, nothing beats a Contender. Yesterday, Bill and I packed up a couple of Contenders with new barrels and some old, well-proven barrels and just had a Contender day of shooting.

My Contender project for the day was to test two recently acquired barrels for this:

This is an early vintage Contender Carbine (mid 80s). Carbine barrels were 21" in length and, yes, you can legally switch a Contender back and forth between a Carbine and a handgun as long as you do not assemble an illegal combination, meaning a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16". TC was taken to Court by the BATF in the early 90s for offering a Carbine kit to turn you Contender handgun into a Carbine, but TC won. The Court decided that having the parts to make an illegal configuration does not constitute intent. Note, too, that despite endless internets rants about legality, the BATF does not consider Contenders or Encores to be either a rifle or a handgun. It's classified as a specialty firearm. If you buy one in rifle form, you fill out the paperwork for a rifle. If you buy one in handgun form, you fill out the paperwork that way and get those restrictions.

Okay, back to the Carbine in question. On the gun is a 21" 22 LR barrel with a Nikon 4-12x Rimfire. Below it is a 21" 22 Hornet with an excellent B&L 4-12x AO. Found both of these along with the Carbine rig just last month at a gun show. I had very high hopes for the 22 Hornet barrel, because Contender Hornet barrels have a well-deserved rep for accuracy. As for the 22 LR barrel, I've never had a bad TC 22 LR barrel, but some have been better than others, especially the 22 LR Match barrels (meaning Match chamber), which came along later in the 90s.

So how did they shoot? The Hornet was actually a bust. 5 different types of factory ammo plus a friend's reloads and I could not get the consistency I wanted even at 50 yards. Okay, not a disaster, because with a Contender or Encore, you just try a different barrel. This Hornet barrel will get traded off at some point. Disappointing, but that's part of the game with Contender barrels. Yup, Contenders can surprise you. Works both ways.

Since I was out there, I decided to do a quick test with the 22 LR barrel. Took me a couple of minutes to swap barrels and then time to grab some CCI SV and get the scope sighted in. First thing I noticed was the Nikon 4-12x Rimfire would not let me get a sharp image up close at 25 yards. Love Nikon Rimfires, but this version does not have the fast focus eyepiece like the others. No big deal. I just went right to 50 yards and finally got sighted in.

What was a big deal, though, is that we forgot our spotting scope, so I couldn't really track what groups were doing inside the orange dots. There was a bit of glare, so the 12x in the rifle scope allowed me to see only so much. I could see hits outside or at the edge of the 1" orange dot, but hits inside the dot just disappeared.

As for the shooting, I could see that I pulled one of the first shots out at the edge of the orange dot, but kept on firing, total of 10 shots. I could see that I pulled the last shot, too, out at the edge. Since I couldn't see any other shots at the edge or outside the orange, I figured good enough, the rest of the shots must be somewhere in the orange. That's excellent accuracy for a Carbine. Keep in mind that a Contender Carbine is no bench gun. It weighs just a touch over 5 pounds without a scope.

So, one out of two on the Carbine. Good enough. Bill and I spent the rest of the session shooting a couple of Contender pistol rigs I also brought along. Nothing nasty, mind you, just one in 22 LR and one in 38 Special. As always, total fun with the Contenders. Superb triggers, never a malfunction or misfire. Totally dependable.

We called it a day. Bill started to pack up and I walked out to retrieve targets. Walked up to the lone 22 LR Carbine target and and could not believe my eyes. Just not possible. No way. Just stood there shaking my head. One of those targets.

The two sloppy pulled shots I expected to see, but not the rest. That center group for eight shots measures right at .30, c-c. With regular CCI SV, not match ammo? In a featherlight Carbine? Impossible.

Yup, Contenders can surprise you. Works both ways.
8 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Contender fun, back to basics

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm

Awesome group, awesome shooting as well. I wouldn't let that combination get away. As always, great report.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm

Thanks, Marine.

For sure, the 22 LR barrel is a keeper. The 22 Hornet, not so much, so I'll be looking for another barrel. Problem is, Contender stuff is getting very pricey, now.
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 am

That's a cool bunch of TC firearms. Congratulations on the great shooting from that .22 lr carbine. Sorry to hear about the other barrel, but you seem to have a good plan for it.

Nice shooting. Sounds like a pleasant day.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 am

Seeing the pics of the handguns sure brings back memories. Never had a carbine but they are good looking too.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am

Thanks, guys. The Carbine rigs are a delight to handle and carry. This Carbine in 22 LR would have been the perfect squirrel rifle for me back in the day when I was hunting squirrels in the wooded hills along the Platte river in eastern Nebraska. Lots of climbing, but superb Fox squirrel hunting.

On the other hand, not such a joy to shoot when you add a 30-30 or 45-70 barrel. Ask me how I know.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

Contenders are great. I dont have any of them anymore but it doesnt change my like for them at all. I did alot of shooting with one from hunting deer to shooting silly wet. Nice shooting with yours NCG and Bill. Your love for the carbine and the falling block single shots is great. I also love the single shots for the reasion you mentioned about the Contender Carbine. Light and easy to carry. I like the falling block single shots alot but their price point is a little on the steep side. Dont see many around either in the pistol calibers although I do know they make them. The Henry Single shot is a great little rifle. Love mine just wish the caliber selection was greater.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm

Love the falling blocks, too, Al, but you are so right about the prices, now. Glad I have what I have, but not sure about getting another.

I have been considering a Henry single shot, but for some reason no one in our area stocks them and almost never see them at gun shows. I think a 357 would be a sweet shooter.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm

As Ive said NCG I love my 357 SS. I also like leverguns but if the single shot and a 357 levergun are the choice for the day I will take the Single Shot. Lighter brass falls out in my hand and its just some laid back plinkin fun
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:08 am

Beautiful guns and some great shooting!