Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Classic Mini 14

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Classic Mini 14

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:40 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:13 am
I like the looks of the paratrooper stock. How rigid is it when open and locked?
I had a GB model of the mini 14 back in the Early 80s with the folding stock, that had a bit of play in it.
This one locks in place tight with no movement.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:50 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:40 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:13 am
I like the looks of the paratrooper stock. How rigid is it when open and locked?
I had a GB model of the mini 14 back in the Early 80s with the folding stock, that had a bit of play in it.
This one locks in place tight with no movement.
Outstanding. I like this one very much, and the Hogue Stock is very nice. Its available in several colors, but I chose black vs. Desert sand or that green.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:47 pm

I had an old one too. It shot patterns instead of groups. Sold it. MY Mini-30 is a much more accurate rifle.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:02 am

The Happy Kaboomer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:47 pm
I had an old one too. It shot patterns instead of groups. Sold it. MY Mini-30 is a much more accurate rifle.
I understand that’s pretty common. Mine is the newer 581 series with an Accu-Stut installed and both help with accuracy. With my loads using the Sierra 69gr match bullet it shoots pretty darn good at 100yds.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:27 am

I remember a guy bringing a Mini-14 to a High Power match once. We'd have a fairly open ended deal where anyone could bring what they had to try a match and see if they liked it, so guys would bring some rifles you normally don't see at these matches. A few SKSs, an assortment of various ARs and M4s, some hunting rifles, all were welcome. The reason I remember that Mini-14 is because that thing ejected brass harder than any rifle I've ever seen. I was scoring for a buddy and was four ports away, and those cases were hitting me hard enough that I moved to not get hit any more. Other guys commented that the Mini-14 and the Mini-30 both are like that. The guy shooting it wasn't saving his brass, which was good, cause it ended up almost 10 yards away.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:10 pm

Mine ejects the brass forward about five or six yards, fifteen degrees to the right of the line of the bore. I was looking all around the right side and to the rear at first. :D Fellow shooters would only get clonked if they were forward of the firing line. :roll: :twisted:
0 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:54 pm

I had one of the early ones with the "pencil" barrel. It shot patterns instead of groups. Sold it and got an AR which is much more accurate. Still have my MINI-30 from the same era. It's accurate and I have bagged 1/2 dozen or so deer with it.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:27 pm

I did get back out on the range yesterday. I was waiting for the two extra five shot mags to come in from Ruger, as everything I had read cautioned against using NON OEM mags from non Ruger sources. Once FedEx Dropped off the mags, I headed to my range to test the mags and get in some more practice as well as test the BRIGHT orange sight blade. Set up at 25 yards again. After all, they are peep sights and I'm looking at about a 2" bull.

First, the bright orange blade provided a crisp, clean sight picture, much easier to see. That faded front sight blade had a tendency wash out in the sunlight. I could have used my sight smoker, but that would rub off in the scabbard.

I fired a nice 1-1/2" group with the first three shots, and then attempted to move the rounds down. Oops, turned the adjustment the wrong way. You'll see that one round marked with an "X".

The second three shot group after sight adjustment was strung vertically, and likely caused by trying to hold the peep sight in the middle of the target. Huh... shaking my head at that point. I changed my point of aim to six o'clock and sat back behind the rifle again. Half breath and squeeze, times four... I pulled the first shot. Give an old man a break...

A one inch three shot group tossing out that first Mulligan. Still not bad if you keep the forth shot.

mini 14 target.jpg
mini 14 target.jpg (497.46 KiB) Viewed 69 times
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 pm

BTW, here is a bit better picture of the Hogue stock mounted on the mini. I guess the flash and the artificial lighting inside was making the other pictures look funny. I think it looks pretty good.

better mini 14 pic comp 2.jpg
better mini 14 pic comp 2.jpg (377.44 KiB) Viewed 69 times

The stock frame is fiberglass and is covered with the same rubberized material the Hogue pistol stocks use. Very comfortable.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm

Next I shot the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 556. That Vortex Scope is nice. I shot that at 25 yards last week, but moved back to 50 yesterday. I forgot the references to tell me how many clicks to move to adjust so I ended up walking the rounds into the bull. Eh... I didn't mind shooting, passes the time. I was almost centered on the bull, but was high. Took me about twelve shots to get a nice 1" group at 50 yards. The gun is likely capable of better. With more practice and a different ammo I think it would lay the shots in a dime size group. I was shooting military FMJ.

Here is the final group:

ranch rifle target.jpg
ranch rifle target.jpg (481.17 KiB) Viewed 69 times

I fired the first shot, came down a few more clicks of elevation, then fired three more shots.
1" group. I'm good with this for now. Next time I shoot, I'll use a 1" dot and try and tweek it a bit more.

Next on the range are Single Actions in 357.
Next Rifles are the Henry 357 and a Couple .22s; the Henry Golden Boy and the CZ 455.

The weather is shootin' weather. So, I should be shootin... :D
1 x