Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Why do folks not like the Buckhorn sights?

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:31 pm

I got my Henry Big Boy 44 Mag as an early Christmas present from my kids. Love it!

I immediately started researching the best replacement sights because I read so much about replacing the Buckhorn sights.

I admit that with these 53 year old eyes it was a little hard to make out the brass on the front sight on the buckhorns.
I bought an orange paint pen and used about 1/10 of a drop directly on the face of the brass. It made a world of difference , especially in low light.

I’m gonna see if I can post a pic of a 10 round group at 65 yards. ( Not to brag, I can do better with practice, like anyone else)
At this point I plan to stay with the Buckhorns.

Happy new year everyone!
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Why do folks not like the Buckhorn sights?

Post by Vaquero » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:45 pm

NICE!
Looks like they suit you just fine. Nothing wrong with that group at all.
It just seems as we get older the BH's are harder to use.
Were using factory ammo or is that your own loadings?
I'm 63 and still use them some, I have a couple that have peeps, but "most" of my hunting rifles now wear scopes.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:50 pm

I still use iron sights on many of my handguns, but put skinner sights on my Big Boy Carbine. Old Eyes get tired and they don't see the sight picture as clearly. Peeps work better for me these days on long guns.
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:59 pm

nice group .... certainly one capable of putting meat in the freezer .... I have scopes on all but one of my rifles .... the one without a scope is a Winchester Model 94 with factory Buckhorn sights .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 64#p213664
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:35 pm

Nice shooting, Mike. I agree about buckhorns. When the light is good and my eyes are fresh, I've never had a problem with them. Used them all the time in my younger years. It's when the light is bad that I struggle with them. By the way, buckhorns have a very interesting tradition. Those "buck horns" are actually more than just for looks. Gives you the option of several different sight pictures for various ranges. No way as accurate as a peep or even a good blade open sight setup, but they've been doing the job for over a hundred years.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:18 pm

Yup, I like 'em and use them on all my rifles.

Using-the-Peephorn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:32 pm

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:31 pm
I like them for nostalgic reasons. For nostalgic reasons, scopes on lever actions aren't visually appropriate. Unfortunately, my poor eyesight requires that I put scopes on my levers :cry:
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:05 pm

First, congratulations on your Christmas present! I suspect that you will enjoy it for years to come. As for buckhorn sights, I like semi-buckhorn sights. I have not tried buckhorn sights. My level actions came with semi-buckhorn sights. Yet, one came with a scope as well. For me, using a semi-buckhorn sight for targets less than 100 yards is fine. I am happy with the POI at that range. Any target greater than 100 yards, I probably will op for a scope. To me, it is more important to hit POA than anything else. What is the point of shooting something, if you don't hit it?

P.S.
I did put a peep sight on my Henry. I was wanting to get tighter groups at 100 yards. So far, I am happy with it.
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:15 pm

Mike.. looks like you got a great shootin' 44 Henry! In some cases I have to widen the buckhorn sight groove a bit to let more light/space in around the front sight bead due to my old eyes at 68. I do like staying with the basic type sights on lever rifles. On my Henry rifles I have made a slip in ghost ring sight insert which uses a .150 diameter hole to center up on the front sight. Helps me get on target a lot better!
Again great shootin' with your new Henry 44 Mag!
3 x

The Happy Kaboomer
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by The Happy Kaboomer » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:38 am

Buckhorns cover up half of what you're looking at.......I File all of them flat.......Those big "ears' are useless.
1 x