Greetings from the Aloha State

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Kaumheimer
Tenderfoot
Germany

Greetings from the Aloha State

Post by Kaumheimer » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:11 pm

Aloha Everyone,

I'm Rob and just joined. I'm the proud owner of a "Big Boy" chambered in .44. It has the Skinner sights which I like better than the stock one.
I like the 16" barrel--easy to maneuver. My interest in this rifle is shooting a 12" gong at 100 yards. Maybe go after a pig or a goat at some point? Who knows?

I've been in Hawaii for about 25 years and work as a journalist at the local paper. I write for the business section. (Please don't hate me for being a journalist!) I also write about firearms once in a while for blog, Hawaii Reporter. I'm a member of our local club--members participate in Bullseye competition. Very nice group of folks. I mostly shoot 1911s.

I haven't done a lot of shooting lever action rifles except an old Marlin .22 so I thought joining this forum would be a smart thing to do.

I'm particularly interested in figuring out how to load for this rifle. The manufacturer wasn't very helpful, I'm sure because of the liabilities. They want you to shoot factory ammo of course.

So I'm trying to figure what kind of bullet this rifle likes. I have some cast 22 and 240 gr bullets.

I thought the best place to go for answers would be this forum and see what other folks have done. I'll post something on the reloading section and poke around there to see if there's some past threads.

So that's my story. Semi-retired in Hawaii. I'm very lucky.

So there's a German flag on my profile...I have dual US/German citizenship.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: Greetings from the Aloha State

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:35 pm

Welcome from the Land of Sugar! There are lots of load variants out there but I use a Nosler 240 gr bullet over 22.8 gr of H110 or W296.
Jake
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:42 pm

welcome indeed .... delighted to have you join our forum .... do hope you will be an active member who reads and post often .... ask away, we have a large number of members with Henry 44 Mags ... ours has proven to be a solid shooter that's fun to fire .... we load 240 gr jacketed Nosler bullets .... they've proven to take bear, boar and deer .... be sure to follow the link below to where you can add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 17#p206117
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:44 pm

Hello and Welcome from Tennessee.
I shoot mostly cast in my 44.

RP
Last edited by Vaquero on Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm

Welcome to the forum from Michigan.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:00 am

Welcome from So-Cal. Lots of people here shoot/load for the .44. You'll get plenty of data. Glad to have you.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:04 am

Welcome from Western North Carolina. Sorry, I don't reload.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:38 am

Welcome to the forum AND to lever action shooting, Rob! Love my Henry lever rifles! .357 ad 45-70 for me so not much help in the .44 category.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Welcome to the family from South Central Oklahoma. I was stationed in Hawaii with the Marine SAR unit at Kanaohe Bay from 82 to 85. Beautiful. The cost of living was difficult for a young Sergeant so I didn't get to travel to other islands or visit all the tourist attractions like most folks, but I did dive most of Oahu, and loved it. Back then, no free long distance and my ex-wife was my current wife and she was a Mama's girl. My long distance bill was around $300 a month. :evil: She called her mother and sister a lot until I finally limited her to TWO ten minute calls a month. We didn't have email back then, so she had to write letters. LOL. She sucked at that.

sar jock.jpg

Anyway, Jump right in, post, ask questions, and share. Pictures, we like pictures. Your rifles, guns, trucks, hobbies, fish, boats? You get the idea. We might pick on you, but it'll all be in good fun. The mods wouldn't allow anything else, this IS a family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:48 am

Welcome from cold snowy Eastern Washington State and if I sound jealous it’s because I am. :lol:

Any Journalist who is a firearms owner, competition shooter and hunter is one fine Journalist.
:D
0 x