Thought it best to introduce myself again

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Thought it best to introduce myself again

Post by Ogur » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:22 am

Hi!

I'm Geert. Or Ogur here. A born dutchy, who moved to Sweden in 2018. Fixed my hunting license in 2019 and now own a 308 Long Ranger and a Frontier octagon with 24" barrel. Oh, and a sidebyside external hammer 12ga. With a combination gun in 7x57r/12ga chewing its' way through the red tape.

I live at about 62 North, so near the geographical centre of Sweden. Winters are 5/7 months with temperatures dipping in the -35 celcius region.

Still learning the ropes on hunting and building up a social network, which is hard with this whole covid thing going on.

Last hunting year I only had small game hunting on my own land, which resulted in nothing in the bag. Saw capercaille spooking when I had my 308 with me and roedeer at 100 metres when I had my shotgun with me. Very typical.

This year is hopefully going to be different. Certified for bear and moose hunting and enrolled in a hunting team. Now, assuming someone can loan me a class 1 rifle, or my long ranger gets fixed in time, I will be out hunting moose and possibly bear as well. Aside from roedeer, fox, capercaille, arctic hare and grouse. I consider myself a meat hunter. So as long as it's a legal target I like it to have a mouth and an ass and good eating in between.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Thought it best to introduce myself again

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:27 am

welcome indeed ... thanks for the intro, you have a most interesting combination gun coming ... do hope you will continue posting about your hunts and your range reports ... "capercaille" -- had to look that one up .... it looks much like our turkey
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:49 am

Welcome again from the Land of Sugar! Hope that rifle gets mended soon! Good luck!
Jake
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:55 am

Welcome from California! Your combination rifle sound very nice. What make? Was going to look up 'capercaille" also. but, Jim got there first.
Enjoy your stay here.
0 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Capercaille go up to about 7 kilos, so I think turkeys get bigger. I think they might be a bit more aggressive (or stupid)
https://youtu.be/2cLU_1lgnfA

They are hunted in seversl ways. With a shotgun, alone or with a bird dog, in late summer and autumn. They use pointers or dogs that chase the birds up a tree and bark at them. Then a rifle is usually used. Or in winter in a type of sniping hunt. Typically it's shots at 100-250 metres, after you locate one warming itself in the treetops. This involves skiing and winter camo ofcourse.

The combination gun is a brno. Caliber is relatively popular here. Rimmed cartridges are preferred in break guns. If you are out on your own you have shot at the ready for nearby and/or moving small game and a solid round for longer distances. Plus, this is bear country, just regular browns, but still. If you are out after birds or some such it's good to have something with a bit more oomph just in case. They are also popular in southern Sweden, where the moose hunt has become a lot more mixed. Red deer, fallows and masses of wild boar come by as well. 45/70 levers see a lot of use there too. Mind you, we hunt by setting loose baying dogs, jämthund for example, which locate game on their own and then try to get them to stand still. So you have the handler who usually takes those that stop for the dog, while the pass shooters around the area take the animals that sneak/run away from the barking dogs. Yes, I've seen a 6 point moose sneak. Couldn't hear it, not even with enhanced input from my headset. Amazing animals!
2 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 pm

Welcome from Dacotah and the lesson on hunting in your country.
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:45 pm

Welcome from Michigan. Thanks for all the information! Hope your rifle gets repaired soon enough for you to use.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Dang, that capercaille looks like a cross between a turkey and our Western sage grouse, kinda sorta. Aggresive critter for sure.
1 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:39 pm
Dang, that capercaille looks like a cross between a turkey and our Western sage grouse, kinda sorta. Aggresive critter for sure.
They can get like that during courting/mating season. Hormone addled chicken brains😅
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:55 am

Welcome to the forum. Do hope you get the rifle back in time. We have several 45/70 shooters here.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater