Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New gun guy from California

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: New gun guy from California

Post by Cofisher » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Welcome from Nebraska. You’ll love that Henry.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:20 am

Welcome from France , have fun !
BruniX
0 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

RudyN
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by RudyN » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:43 pm

Welcome from another Californian, (Silicon Valley)
0 x

The Big Ugly
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by The Big Ugly » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 am

Rifletom wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 pm
Welcome Big from So-Cal! Naw, nobody here will mess with you. Heck, they've even kept me around for a while. You're going to really like that .357 Classic; have one myself. You going to handload for it? Either way, hope you have ammo/components. Let us know how things progress.
Good to see you here as well, Tom.

The short answer is I have no clue what handloading means vs. any alternatives. Still going to be trying to find ammo after the whole gun show debacle when I get the gun later today.

As far as components go, the best I have is a locking box that satisfies the "Safe" requirement of California and a bag when I take it to the range.
0 x

Oldbrass
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Oldbrass » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:42 am

Welcome from Washington state glad your here, the left coast needs more gun owners especially Henry rifles.In California The benefit of reloading is you won't need a background check for ammo.. Save your brass 😎
0 x
30-30, Helping bad fisherman eat since 1895

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:51 am

The Big Ugly wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 am
Rifletom wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 pm
Welcome Big from So-Cal! Naw, nobody here will mess with you. Heck, they've even kept me around for a while. You're going to really like that .357 Classic; have one myself. You going to handload for it? Either way, hope you have ammo/components. Let us know how things progress.
Good to see you here as well, Tom.

The short answer is I have no clue what handloading means vs. any alternatives. Still going to be trying to find ammo after the whole gun show debacle when I get the gun later today.

As far as components go, the best I have is a locking box that satisfies the "Safe" requirement of California and a bag when I take it to the range.
Sorry for being late to respond here. The components I meant were handloading your own ammo Components: cases, primers, powder and bullets.
Seeing as you are just getting started, I should have explained it better. Hopefully, you'll be able to locate ammo. As Oldbrass mentions, save your brass!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:20 pm

The Big Ugly wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 am

Essentially handloading , or reloading as it's usually called, is the art and science of manufacturing ammunition one cartridge at a time in your shop, kitchen, garage, etc. It's not something you can just buy a kit for. You need to know the technical specifics of the firearm you intend to shoot it in and what your goal is (muzzle velocity, accuracy, etc.), then choose the right combination of powder, primer, and bullet to assemble with the empty cleaned , resized & de-primed brass. There are thick volumes devoted to this that you will have to refer to, and precision equipment to do the assembly, and test firing you will have to perform in order to achieve your goal as stated initially. Do it wrong and you could blow up your gun and suffer severe injury.

That said, if you're willing and able to invest the time and money you may enjoy the hobby, but I doubt you'd save any money unless you shoot hundreds of rounds per month.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:07 pm

That is great input Gunny and is exactly why I chose a long time ago not to do it.
I just don't shoot enough to justify it. Who knows though, if ammo prices don't at least level off, or get back to near normal, then we might have to. However, with the trouble you guys are having getting primers, that is questionable as well. ;) :roll:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:00 pm

Hello from KY.
0 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

NealR54
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by NealR54 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:59 pm

Welcome from Northern California! You made a great choice! I pick up my 3rd Henry (Color Case Hardened Side Load in .38/.357) next week and head to the range soon after!
0 x