Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hello to the forum

Please tell us about yourself and your interests
Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Hello to the forum

Post by Cofisher » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:36 am

Hey Rambler. Welcome from Nebraska. We have some single shooters that will be happy to talk. Enjoy your Henry.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:08 pm

brm4450 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:56 am
Welcome to the forum from Dacotah. I have the same problem with glasses and sights so I have went to the scope. The scope i like is the Leupold VX-Freedom 450 Bushmaster 3-9x40 Riflescope. I have several and really like them.

Welcome!
Can't go wrong with Leupold, I have a couple 1.5-4 Pig Pig Plex and AR scopes on my 45-70 (perfect for 25 to 100 yards) and Daniel Def build. Solid stuff!
I'd love to use red dots by my astigmatism is horrible and the red dot looks like a crazy starburst.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

zara_puppy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by zara_puppy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 pm

Welcome Cyclerambler! The folks here are tops and they speak from experience. I own a couple Henry single shots. The .243 single shot wears a Leupold 3.5X10. Great scope. But as Big Al noted there are scopes out there that will perform just fine with a bit less investment. I've a .223 bolt action Savage and it wears a Vortex 4X12. And to be honest, it could use a bit more magnification - the .223 is excellent past 300 yards if you do your part. And as Hatchdog said - fast twist, heavy bullet. And like Mr. Brass above, I used to use a red dot which eventually became a star.

Scope your .223. That single shot will end up surprising you at some pretty far distances. Two things before I go - ask these folks anything. A great deal of experience (and friendliness and encouragement) on these boards. And be careful - next thing you know you'll own 5 or six of these Henry rifles.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:14 am

Welcome to the forum. I have 2 Leupold freedoms and they are great. I also have 2 Burris drop tine variables (3-12x) that are great and love the ballistic reticule. It is perfect for flat shooters like the .223. They are $150 cheaper than the freedoms and the quality is surprising. I have one on each of my 30-06's and recoil is not an issue. Check them out.
0 x

cyclerambler
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cyclerambler » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Appreciate all the insights...thank you!
Took the 223 single out to the range this afternoon to, hopefully, confirm my cleaning and oiling was the answer to the sticking barrel issue (rap the barrel to get it to open after a shot) but no soap...on the third round (right through round 20) it would not fall open...required the rap to open it up. Submitted a new gun warranty request to Henry later in the day in hopes of having it corrected. One thing though...I'm using the cheapest steel cased rounds I could find...anyone think going with higher quality ammo be the answer?
Thanks again
Tom
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:05 pm

Its worth a try before sending it back. I would go try and find a box of brass casing 223.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

cyclerambler
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cyclerambler » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Ok...went to the indoor range after work today to try a batch of brass cased rounds...All was good after 10 firings and
was congratulating myself on finding the fix...then I thought I may as well shoot more of the 50 round box I bought...then.....
somewhere between #12 and 15 the barrel hung up again...decided shoot 25 and found that every one from about 19 on
resulted in a locked up barrel (which was quite warm at that point) :(
So, sadly, it goes back to Henry in the next couple days for fixing. Not sure what the turn time will be but hope to have it
back by the year end break.
0 x

fergy
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by fergy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. I tried hard to go iron sights with my Rossi lever but my eyes are always messing with me and my sight seems to change a little for a while and change back. I also went with the Leupold for a scope mainly because I wanted made in USA from butt plate to business end. (and i had the money at the time!) I set my scope for my glasses which are for distance viewing only.
Your situation may differ and that's cool. Hope you enjoy the group here.
0 x
Fergy, Burnet TX
Big Boy .44 mag

Holiday009
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Holiday009 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:09 pm

Welcome aboard
0 x

cyclerambler
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by cyclerambler » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Just as a follow up wanted to pass on how impressed I am with the Henry gang...after they received the rifle I had it back in less than 2 weeks and, after spending some time at the range this afternoon, I'm happy to report it works great.
I'm looking forward to many fun outings with the H015-223...now its time for a scope...Its on my Christmas List!
Thanks again to all the commenters...greatly appreciated.
Tom
0 x