Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Making Popcorn

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Making Popcorn

Post by JEBar » Mon May 16, 2016 8:17 am

what's your favorite way to pop corn .... any special tips ? ... favorite type of popper ? .... favorite type of corn ?
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Making Popcorn

Post by ditto1958 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:48 am

Sadly, due to the advent of microwave popcorn, I haven't made it any other way for years.

Before that, making popcorn was actually kind of a fun ritual involving shaking it in a big pot on the stove, melting butter to pour over it, watching a good movie...
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

I agree with ditto. Microwave is too easy and nearly perfect.

Recipe for Cracker Jacks:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=633
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon May 16, 2016 11:15 am

I don't eat a lot of popcorn but when I do it's Jiffy and cooked over a campstove. I do have some Boy Scout microwave popcorn that is very good but I seldom ever pop it.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:17 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:I agree with ditto. Microwave is too easy and nearly perfect.

Recipe for Cracker Jacks:
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=633
It's one of the few foods that a microwave does better.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon May 16, 2016 9:19 pm

I heartily disagree with everyone so far. I do not like microwave popcorn at all.

I use a genuine stovetop Whirlypop, I use the best pop corn I can buy or some I picked and dried from dad's place. I only use coconut oil. Talk about a world of difference.

It's more work, but it's worth it.

By the way, I've used other similar systems than genuine Whirlypop. They pale in comparison. However, I seldom have popcorn anymore.
2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon May 23, 2016 9:42 pm

I cook my old fashioned popcorn on the stove and use Orville R.'s or some other good brand. I used to have some from a farmer friend's corn when I lived back east.

I use a good brand of oil. That varies if my husband does the shopping (!) and oil lasts us a LONG time. We watch the date on small/medium bottles.

I melt real butter and top it off with salt.

We have some microwave popcorn here and sometimes my husband takes a bag of it to work. He likes the flavor of the old fashioned, stove cooked popcorn. He may not buy any more MW popcorn after he uses this box up.

I don't like the SMELL of microwave popcorn cooking even with a fan on and/or the window open.

I have tried a few MW brands over the years too. I do not eat MW popcorn any longer.

I cook/pop mine in a quality stainless steel pot on the stove.

I think that those old Whirlypop's like Dave mentioned worked very well too.

I gave away the AIR POPPER that I tried too.

I LOVE popcorn and eat it on and off. I love to have it when I watch a movie here at home.

I agree with Dave when it comes to the taste and quality of popcorn cooked the old fashioned way on top of the stove.

Cate
2 x

John Ryan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by John Ryan » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Save your bacon grease. Use a couple tablespoons in a pan that has a lid, sauté pan works well. Get the oil hot and toss in the kernels, put the lid on and keep them moving. Results are salty bacon flavored popcorn. Nice and easy!
5 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:20 am

revisiting and oldie but goodie thread ===> for years now we've settled on white popcorn and Orville Redenbacher’s Popping & Topping Buttery Flavored Oil in a Presto PowerPop Microwave Popper consistently yields the best popped corn that we've found .... we do melt butter to pour over it .... outstanding
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:23 am

revisiting and oldie but goodie thread ===> for years now we've settled on white popcorn and Orville Redenbacher’s Popping & Topping Buttery Flavored Oil ===> https://www.amazon.com/Orville-Redenbac ... 180&sr=8-6 in a Presto PowerPop Microwave Popper ===> https://www.amazon.com/Presto-04830-Pow ... 180&sr=8-4 consistently yields the best popped corn that we've found .... we do melt butter to pour over it .... outstanding
0 x