Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

BBQ comp

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
Cattle Driver
Australia

BBQ comp

Post by 220 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:30 pm

Competed in my first BBQ comp yesterday, not something I had ever envisioned doing or had any real desire to do but local agricultural show added a BBQ comp to their list of events and I got talked into entering a team. I aways try and support the local show by putting a few entries in, without continued support they are just another part of rural life that will slowly die and fade into irrelevance.
They also added honey to the exhibits this year so put a few entries in various classes and did quite well winning every honey and wax class I entered along with champion exhibit and exhibitor. Very happy with that considering I only have a dozen hives and there were entries from commercial operations.

I built my offset smoker about 7 years ago but use it almost exclusively cooking lamb. I had never cooked a brisket in it or something as simple as pork ribs although I have done lamb ribs that I think are much harder to do well and I like to think I can run it reasonably well, Comp was a little different to most $50 covered entry into everything, all meat was supplied, 4 boxes were required to be turned in for each meat and anything that didnt go into judging boxes was given away to the crowd.
$500 prizemoney for each category and overall so had a pro team and a few with a little competition experience as well as some competitors like myself that just do a little smoking at home for friends and family.
Lamb, pork and beef were the 3 categories, for lamb we were supplied a rack, pork we were given a knuckle, ribs and a fillet, beef was a brisket. Having to turn in 4 boxes for each meant half or more with some meats cooked had to go into judging boxes so unlike most comps teams couldnt cook a dozen racks of ribs looking for the perfect few ribs to put in a box.
We had a good day and were happy with the flavor of everything we cooked, no surprise the pro team dominated the judging winning the lamb beef and overall. We must have done something pretty well as we won the pork category What you turned in for pork was up to you, you just had to have some of the supplied pork in the box it could be one two or all three of the supplied cuts. We turned in all three, ribs, medallions from the fillet and pulled pork from the knuckle. All three we used my home made rub I usually use for lamb shoulders I do at home, the ribs and fillet both got a bit of my honey when they were wrapped and the pilled pork was sauced with a home made BBQ I make that I use my honey in as the sweetener.
Unreal to think we won cooking 3 cuts we had never cooked before and did it using home made rubs and sauces and using my own honey.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: BBQ comp

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:17 pm

congratulations indeed.... I've never seen lamb used in our BBQ competitions and wouldn't have a clue as to how to approach cooking it .... do hope you continue to participate in competitions
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:52 am

Congratulations on the win. Hats off to you for competing to support the local show and keep a nice tradition alive.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:20 pm

Congratulations on your win. Very good using what you know with new meat.
0 x