Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Make'n Sausage

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Make'n Sausage

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:13 pm

based on how well making our own bacon has turned out, we have decided to give making our own sausage a go .... step one has been to collect info .... to do so, drove over to Lee's Fresh Market -- https://leesfreshmarketnc.com/ -- where we purchase the pork belly for our bacon .... there I talked with one of their butchers about ordering the ground pork that we will use ... to make sure of the texture we purchased some of their mild and hot sausage .... picture below shows the price they charge for their fresh sausage .... that price is less than half the cost of the sausage we have been buying .... got home and fixed some of both and they are very good .... the price per pound of their ground pork should be something less than that of their fully prepared sausage .... so far, so good .... next step research is to determine the spices we want to use
Attachments
240219 001 from Lees 001.jpg
240219 001 from Lees 001.jpg (269.17 KiB) Viewed 356 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Re: Make'n Sausage

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:18 pm

comments/suggestions from those who have experience making their own sausage would be appreciated
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:30 pm

Oh how I love all kinds of sausage. I'll be interested in how yours turns out. The bummer is that my doctor recently suggested that I stay away from bacon and sausage. My cholesterol is too high. As I said...Bummer.
Hope yours turns out to your liking. 😋
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:37 pm

hate to hear about the cholesterol issue ..... unsure when we will actually move from research to making it .... among other things we still have to figure out what kind of freezer containers we want to use ....as noted I do know that our sausage will have a much lower fat content
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:59 pm

😊 No doubt that I'll be cheating some along the way.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:39 am

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:30 pm
Oh how I love all kinds of sausage. I'll be interested in how yours turns out. The bummer is that my doctor recently suggested that I stay away from bacon and sausage. My cholesterol is too high. As I said...Bummer.
Hope yours turns out to your liking. 😋
I try to watch my bad fat intake but I do tend to cheat more than I should. I have improved, used to have bacon just about every morning, now I limit it to once or twice a week. I take Atorvastatin (Lipitor®)for my cholesterol and my last test results were good, good cholesterol was a little low but everything else was in the good range.

I also take fenofibrate to lower my triglycerides, they were very high before cutting down on fats and taking the fenofibrate. Doctor said I would probably develop pancreatitis if I didn't get it down.

I remember the old days when I could eat as much of whatever I wanted and would stay at my high school weight of 150. I couldn't gain weight even if I tried, that stopped when I hit 50. :(
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 am

dave77 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:39 am
I remember the old days when I could eat as much of whatever I wanted and would stay at my high school weight of 150. I couldn't gain weight even if I tried, that stopped when I hit 50. :(

Sounds identical to my past. It used to amaze friends and family how much this skinny guy could put down and never gained an ounce. Those were the days. :oops: Age happened.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:42 am

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 am
Sounds identical to my past.
sounds identical to many of our past ;)
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:11 pm

Had my first go at making sausage last year, I just went with a couple of commercial sausage spice mixes to keep it simple.
Used all the trimmings from a couple of lambs that I had butchered which ended up about 12lbs worth. More than enough for a first attempt.
Run through my mincer twice and then a third time as I used the mincer to fill the casings.
You need to keep everything icy cold, I would put everything into the freezer, including the mincer between passes and found the mince actually processes better if it is borderline frozen.
I went with pig gut casings as I wanted a thicker sausage, happy enough with how they turned out. I will have another go and do a larger batch when we get a bit of colder weather.

1 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:38 pm

I've been making my sausage for years, Kielbasa, Italian, brats, venison and breakfast both links and bulk. usually buy pork shoulder @ costco, good quality and price, (I shoot the venison). Don't buy commercial seasoning mixes, I have a book on sausage making that has recipes for about 100 different types of sausage and buy what I need fresh. I will read the different recipes for say brats, then come up with my own.
Things I have learned; use fresh garlic not the stuff in a jar, fresh ground pepper, coarse salt and fresh good quality spices and herbs, keep the meat COLD and have sharp knives when cutting meat for the grinder. I've like to use a sausage stuffer rather than a grinder. Fill the stuffer with 5# of meat and casing on the horn lots o" sausage
Experiment have fun
1 x
I love my country but I fear my government