Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Time for Fall canning Sauce today

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Time for Fall canning Sauce today

Post by daytime dave » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:31 pm

It's that time of year, according to my garden. The tomatos are ready for making sauce, so I picked a half bushel yesterday with the granddaughter. I also picked a half peck of various peppers.
This morning I set up the tomato press, cut up the peppers and six locally grown onions (I've never had luck growing my own) and set about making a large pot of sauce. A half bushel of tomatos, half a peck of peppers and a half dozen onions make the pot full. Some spices, garlic and wine round out the sauce. No meat this year as I like to add it during the final cooking process. It came out fine last year, but I usually like to add more anyways, so I'll just wait. My sister in law isn't crazy about any type of meat, so I can always give her some of this sauce.
Anyway, now that I have my new stove in place, this year's sauce and canning efforts are going very well. It's a cooler day, so it has warmed the house by making and simmering the sauce.

2 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Time for Fall canning Sauce today

Post by JEBar » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:01 pm

looks good

we've just finished canning green beans and tomatoes
0 x