Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Question for mustard connoisseurs

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Question for mustard connoisseurs

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:05 am

My daughter up in WA is looking for suggestions for specialty mustard flavors that she is going to make from scratch for gifts, local church/farmers market sale, etc. She'll be using brown mustard seed and has a few flavors she's mentioned but would welcome any other suggestions.

Here's her list at the moment, so if you have any other flavors you might like I'll pass them on to her, especially any that are unique or popular in your part of the world.

honey; stout beer; champagne; hot horseradish; and fig
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Question for mustard connoisseurs

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:51 pm

Whiskey
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Mustard, hickory smoke bacon, with a hint of horseradish. Good on a burger or as a pretzel dip.
0 x
Jeff

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:21 pm

My thinking is that, given the target market, you need something different. Everyone has horseradish, honey mustard, etc on the shelf. There is a reason for this. These are good parings. But, if someone wants horseradish flavored mustard, they can go to Publix and buy it, and cheaper than someone doing "boutique" mustards. She needs to find something out of the ordinary.

My only thought is molasses. The fig has promise. It has to taste good, but it needs to grab the attention of the market. If this were the deep south, or the northeast, you would likely need to approach it somewhat differently, due to the different target market. Find out what that market would be attracted to, be it some kind of herb, or other addition. Heck, it doesn't even have to taste better, if it tastes good, but has a hook, it should sell. I doubt that Himalayan salt would alter the taste, but you could charge more for it, and catch more buyers than using regular old .50 a lb grocery store salt.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:35 pm

We love Dijon. I still use regular yellow mustard, but lean toward the Dijon most of the time. It's excellent on corned beef.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:46 pm

No connoisseur here. Just yellow French's.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:50 pm

Chipotle!
Jake
0 x