Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cutting board/wood type

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Cutting board/wood type

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:45 pm

Carol bought me a beautiful cutting board for my very small kitchen. Not as nice as some homemade ones I've seen on here, but still pretty. It is made of Acacia wood which is supposed to be more knife blade friendly than the plastic board I have. She bought it for me because of a couple nice Imarku knives she bought me for Christmas. I was not familiar with Acacia wood before seeing it used for this application.

Has anybody had any experience with this wood? Considering its color and grain pattern, it seems it would make for a nice gun stock as well.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cutting board/wood type

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm

here is a link to a pretty good thread http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... rd#p174273 .....you can see the one we use about midway through the thread .... how do you like your knives :?:
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:26 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:45 pm
Carol bought me a beautiful cutting board for my very small kitchen. Not as nice as some homemade ones I've seen on here, but still pretty. It is made of Acacia wood which is supposed to be more knife blade friendly than the plastic board I have. She bought it for me because of a couple nice Imarku knives she bought me for Christmas. I was not familiar with Acacia wood before seeing it used for this application.

Has anybody had any experience with this wood? Considering its color and grain pattern, it seems it would make for a nice gun stock as well.
It's an extraordinarily common wood species, over 1000 varieties all over the world, used for many things. A lot of it comes from Australia, Formosa, and surrounding areas. Should be fine for a cutting board. Just keep it oiled up with mineral oil when it looks too dry. Here's some more info and about a 100 pics of several varieties:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/ ... acacia.htm

And anything is better than plastic. :)
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:33 pm

JEBar wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:55 pm
here is a link to a pretty good thread http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... rd#p174273 .....you can see the one we use about midway through the thread .... how do you like your knives :?:
Thanks Jim! That is one beautiful cutting board.
So far, I love my knives and I don't anticipate that changing. I have the 10" bread knife and a 8" chefs knife. Beautiful and appear very well made, not to mention razor sharp.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:38 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:26 pm
markiver54 wrote:

It's an extraordinarily common wood species, over 1000 varieties all over the world, used for many things. A lot of it comes from Australia, Formosa, and surrounding areas. Should be fine for a cutting board. Just keep it oiled up with mineral oil when it looks too dry. Here's some more info and about a 100 pics of several varieties:

Thanks Gunny. That's a VERY interesting link. I can't believe I had never heard of Acacia before. I DO love minor woodworking, so I have to say a big DUH!... :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:45 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:38 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:26 pm
markiver54 wrote:

Thanks Gunny. That's a VERY interesting link. I can't believe I had never heard of Acacia before. I DO love minor woodworking, so I have to say a big DUH!... :lol:
There's a lot wood species and varieties within those species, and will often have local names that vary from country to country and even within a country. I doubt anyone has cataloged them all, we're talking several million altogether.

The home page of the link, has a couple thousand species with info and pics in alphabetical listing.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.