Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Canned Sunday Gravy with sausage

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Canned Sunday Gravy with sausage

Post by daytime dave » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I canned Sunday Gravy with sausage today. All tolled, I have 10 qts of sauce today and 7 from the other day. 4 and a quarter gallons should be enough until next years tomato crop. The first batch was made with a hand crush press like my mother used. It was a mesh sieve that sits in a stand and you press the tomatoes against the sides with a hardwood cone shaped reamer. I paid around $40.oo for it and the handle broke off the sieve just as I was finishing the first batch. I ordered a Weston hand crank press ($65.00) after doing some research. I couldn't be more pleased with the Weston. I forgot to take photographs when I was using it, probably because it can be a little sloppy, me more so than the press. Anyway, it made this batch of sauce a LOT easier. The pressure canner is an All American made in Wisconsin, USA. The model size is 921. As I type, the last three jars are in the canner.

It takes a while, but you must use the bounty of the garden while you are able to.

So far I have canned applesauce, cauliflower relish, and spaghetti with meat sauce. I used all my own cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, parsley and apples from an Orchard a few miles away.

For the tomatoes, I planted and harvested Amish paste, San Marzano and Roma tomatoes. Most were Roma's.

3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Canned Sunday Gravy with sausage

Post by Cofisher » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:35 pm

Making me hungry brother.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:41 pm

My tomatoes came in sporadicly so I froze the Romas whole as they ripened and will deal with the whole batch at one time. Good work on your canning.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:29 pm

Gravy with sausage :D

now you are getting to some serious canning :!:
0 x