Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:49 pm

double post removed
0 x

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:34 pm

ImageSide note; I also like to buy a couple of Costco's rotisserie chickens and put them in the GMG pellet gill with two smoke tubes and grill temp set to 150 degrees and let them go about two or three hours. It will not dry them out and they are already safely cooked at Costco so no worry about uncooked chicken. Soon as you take them off the smoker wrap them tightly in saran wrap and it really keeps the flavor in. Monte Cristo sandwich with smoked chicken can't be beat!

Doc
Attachments
20220210_161429.jpg
20220210_161429.jpg (130.44 KiB) Viewed 958 times
20220327_133957.jpg
20220327_133957.jpg (147.33 KiB) Viewed 958 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:26 am

we all know what is said about Opinions .. :? .. I have no clue as to the validity of the ranking given in this video entitled "Top 5 Best Pellet Smokers 2021 - Buyer’s Guide" ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x6C4W6szfk ..... what I do know is all 5 of the grills featured in the video are commonly considered to be fine units from good companies ....
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:50 am

SAGA22 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:34 pm
ImageSide note; I also like to buy a couple of Costco's rotisserie chickens and put them in the GMG pellet gill with two smoke tubes

Doc
fascinating .... I'd of never thought of doing so and just may give it a try :D

Note : having never heard of a Monte Cristo sandwich, I had to look it up .... sounds interesting and very much worth trying ;)
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:32 pm

I get the opinions thing. But Ive owned a Traeger grill in the past and I now have a Memphis Grill. It will chew a Traeger up and spit it right out. There isnt even a close comparison.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:38 am

considerable research that has had me leaning in one direction, then another, then yet another .... our search has been accelerated by our pending trip to South Dakota for the summer .... while we've not found a perfect portable smoker that has been clearly the best for us in all areas, we have narrowed the field and anticipate swallowing hard, then placing an order over the weekend
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:02 pm

well, we our search has come full circle .... I just placed an order for a "Green Mountain Davy Crockett Sense Mate Electric Wi-Fi Control Foldable Portable Wood Pellet Tailgating Grill with Meat Probe, Black" ====> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RXH95C?ps ... yp_imgToDp ....

some of its features that were important to us are :

the pellet bin is a separate box from the rest of the grill/smoker .... I don't want another with the pellet bin under the same lid like the one in our Traveler

I like the WiFi control system

the folding legs that become a carrying handle will help me move it around

with the legs extended. the height of the grilling surface allows the person doing the cooking to do so while seated

it fit our price range

it has solid positive reviews on every platform we found

we ordered several extras like a weather cover, pizza oven and winter heat jacket .... per Amazon things should start arriving tomorrow and everything should be here within the next week
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:42 am

JEBar;n391448 wrote:the pellet bin is a separate box from the rest of the grill/smoker .... I don't want another with the pellet bin under the same lid like the one in our Traveler
I was contacted by a friend who is looking for his first portable smoker/grill who asked why the above was important to me .... the control panel and access to fan/auger motors are mounted in the pellet bin in our new Green Mountain Grill (GMG) .... this video ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLgDGtJY_Ic gives a quick look at one such advantage of having a separate, easily removable pellet bin .... while I can't speak from a solid info base I'm pretty sure that this is a fairly standard feature from manufactures
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:17 pm

below is another example ..... I worked on trying to replace the auger motor on our Traveler grill for several hours over several days and never could get it to work .... that's the reason we are buying a new smoker/grill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMahnJ6vO0
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Wish you luck with the new grill Jim. I hope our Asmoke does better than the traveler did for us. Its a shame when BBQ's become like bic lighters just throw them away and get another one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55