Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:12 pm

as noted in another thread, I'm done with our 2+ year old portable smoker/grill .... to put it simply, its broke and I can't fix it .... so, I'm once again looking for a portable smoke/grill to use both while we are traveling/camping and while at home .... I'm pretty well limiting our search to pellet grills .... we have a large Masterbuilt smoker that we can use while at home .... we have a wide variety of portable cooking systems we have used while we are on the road .... consequently we are under no sense of urgency to find one .... I've already learned that there has been an impressive number of advances in this type of portable smoker/ grills .... in fact, I will not be surprised if the search takes a matter of months .... from early reading and watching a few YouTube videos I've been impressed with the Green Mountain Davy Crockett Portable Wood Pellet Tailgating Grill ====> https://www.amazon.com/Green-Mountain-G ... _ci_mcx_mi .... it has a most impressive 4.5 out of a 5 star rating based on 1,726 ratings .... suggestions with links and personal observations would be appreciated
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:52 pm

Interesting Jim. The 5 year warranty aint worth the paper its printed on. I bought the Asmoke 350https://www.homedepot.com/p/ASMOKE-Portable-8-I ... lsrc=aw.ds I like mine just fine but I have no idea if its better than the one you are looking at. I dont see it on Amazon anymore. Not sure why but right now I like mine.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:53 pm

I tried your link also and it didnt work.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:38 pm

I have a Green Mountain Davy Crockett Grill and got it in February of 2021. We have an Oklahoma Joe's Rider Deluxe pellet grill and a couple of wood fired smokers but wanted something smaller to use when my wife and I just want to smoke something for the two of us.
Since we got it I would say we have used it 2 to 3 times a week without fail and it has worked flawlessly each time we used it.
I did get some smoke tubes to use with it and that has made a huge difference in the smoke level. I also got a Waylander carbon felt welding blanket to cover it and and that enabled me to smoke in the winter weather here in Santa Fe.
Easy to use and maintain and the wi-fi Bluetooth is a great feature.
There are many very great pellet grills today but this GMG is just a Dandy as far as I'm concerned!

DOC
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:41 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:53 pm
I tried your link also and it didnt work.
thanks for the heads up .... link replaced .... no clue how I messed it up the first time
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:46 pm

SAGA22 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:38 pm
There are many very great pellet grills today but this GMG is just a Dandy as far as I'm concerned!

DOC

thanks for taking the time to post about your experience with the Davy Crockett Green Mountain smoker/grill .... the vast majority of the time at home we don't need a large grill so we will be using whatever we end up with most of the time .... have you found its weight to be a problem :?:
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:52 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:52 pm
I bought the Asmoke 350https://www.homedepot.com/p/ASMOKE-Portable-8-I ... nd-Smoker-
I've read and seen some good things about the ASMOKE lines .... my first impression was tainted by having it look so much like the Traveler .... please drop back from time to time with updates about yours
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 pm

The grill you are looking at is a good grill my only question with it is its portability
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:05 am

My grill weighed 67 pounds and I have it on a stainless table with wheels so weight is not a problem.
This newer model weighs 57 pounds which helps. They show a nice stand for it in one of the photos at Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Crocket ... B078RXH95C
The weight trade off with the lighter grills is the larger area for smoking and a larger hopper for pellets. Plenty off room for a 12 pound pork butt and then some.

DOC
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:33 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 pm
The grill you are looking at is a good grill my only question with it is its portability
I was concerned about weight when I purchased our Traveler, it weighs right at 50 lbs .... that hasn't proven to be a problem ..... the newer ads for the Davy Crockett show 57 lbs .... one of the features that I really like on the model shown in post 1 is the folding legs that become a carrying handle .... those legs are perfect for being able to sit beside the grill while cooking .... also, with built in legs we don't have to put up a table or cooking surface to create a place to set the grill
0 x