Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:51 am

SAGA22 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:05 am
My grill weighed 67 pounds and I have it on a stainless table with wheels so weight is not a problem. This newer model weighs 57 pounds which helps. They show a nice stand for it in one of the photos at Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Crocket ... B078RXH95C
The weight trade off with the lighter grills is the larger area for smoking and a larger hopper for pellets. Plenty off room for a 12 pound pork butt and then some.

DOC

you are absolutely correct about the larger hopper and cooking surface .... there are aftermarket companies out there that are building accessories to maximize Davy Crockett grills cooking space ===> https://thebbqhq.com/products/gmg-davy- ... 75d7&_ss=r .... expensive, most certainly but the ability to double the racks of ribs, burgers, steaks, etc that can be cooked at one time is a great feature .... another neat feature that we wouldn't be interested in is an attachment that turns it into a pizza oven https://thebbqhq.com/products/gmg-pizza ... 9e0c&_ss=r
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:37 am

The newer model that Saga has linked to would be better for me. I also like the blue tooth control to the phone. Our Asmoke so far has been fine. The internal design is different from the Traveler. The burn pot is deeper and the ash falls thru into a pan. The pellet auger is higher above the actual area the pellets are burning in. I think the Auger being so close to the actual burning of the pellets was not good
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:17 am

something is going on with Traveler Smoker/Grills that I don't understand .... a Google search shows places where they are selling for $96

https://alphaeurosurf.com/product/count ... let-grill/

that makes no sense to me whatsoever
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 am

I did a scam search on that website and it comes up very questionable
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:49 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:40 am
I did a scam search on that website and it comes up very questionable
I have no doubt that its highly likely a scam and would order from other sites with realistic sources
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:15 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:37 am
I also like the blue tooth control to the phone.
both of the Davy Crockett models can be bought with blue tooth controls .... while that ain't a big deal for me and my flip phone ;) , I can see it as a handy feature if we ever buy a grill with that feature, we would probably put an app for it Maureen's Iphone
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:34 pm

earlier today we stopped by a Patio and Spa shop that sells several brands of pellet grills/smokers .... some I am familiar with, some not .... in camping size units they had an Asmoke, a Davy Crockett Trek, a small Pit Box and a couple of others that I've never heard of ... they didn't have a Davy Crockett like the one we are considering and don't expect to have some in any time soon .... we are still very early in our search and learned a few things that helped .... most helpful to us is knowing that if we get a Davy Crockett it will fit in our camper's storage area
0 x

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:52 pm

The first thing I did was take the folding legs off of my Davy Crockett. They held the grill at a very awkward height and did not work for me. Also the new TREK has a rod to adjust the fire box which is important. I made a second rack out of a cast iron Lodge grill rack that I had discarded.. The rack works really well and I can place smoke tubes under it. See "pellet grill smoker tubes on Amazon" they really improve the smoke flavor a lot no matter what grill you get.

DOC
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:10 am

info appreciated .... the rod to adjust the firebox most certainly appears to be a good feature .... based on a recommendation from a friend, I've just spent over an hour reading and watching YouTube videos about it and have thoroughly enjoyed doing so .... as you noted, it has a long list of really nice features .... I really like the legs that allow it to be moved like a two wheel dolly .... sadly, with WiFi controls its priced about $250 higher than the other smokers we are considering .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd5rgNQCc-4&t=451s
0 x

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:17 am

My Davy Crockett was $ 299.00 on Amazon last year. They have gone up about $50 since then.

Trek... https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Crocket ... B078RXH95C

Davy Crockett... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078R ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x