Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Once again searching for a Portable Pellet Smoker/Grill

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:09 pm

ain't that the truth .... in the real world, portable smoker/grills have to be made as light weight as possible .... lighter weight calls for thinner metal .... thin metal undergoing years of heating/cooling cycles doesn't promote longevity
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:04 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:32 pm
Wish you luck with the new grill Jim. I hope our Asmoke does better than the traveler did for us. Its a shame when BBQ's become like bic lighters just throw them away and get another one.
I got a look at an AS350 Asmoke .... at first glance it looks very much like the Traveler but it has some really nice options not found on a Traveler .... it has a Prime button that I firmly believe should be a standard feature on all pellet grills .... while it has to be a bit cumbersome to remove the adjustment screw, the ability to adjust the cover over the vents in the drip pan could really come in handy ..... the tray under the burn area where you can add moisture is nice .... how well does the ash dump work in the real world .. :?: .. do hope it will serve you well
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 am

The ash dump works great and there is a plate they give you when using another brand of pellets that allows the off brand pellets to stay in the pot for smoking purposes. They claim there pellets are much better and hold together better as they are made from pure applewood out of there own orchards. Ive not used any of there pellets and have had good success using that plate with other pellets that i have used in the past. I am going to get a couple of those smoker tubes though that Saga suggested. I agree with him there is times when the smoke isnt as good as I think it should be even on my grill at home. This plate Im talking about slides down in the firepot and rest on top of the crossing bars that are at the bottom. It has a + in the center of it so the ash does still fall through. Next time Im around the grill I will take some pictures.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:55 pm

looking forward to your continued reports
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm

I ve watched these 2 guys before. One guy here owns a pellet grill shop that sells Green Mountain pellet grills. He seems very knowledgeable. Ive put a link here up to his take on the smoke tubes. I dont have double racks in either of my smokers but none the less he has his opinions on the smoke tubes I found interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J1cJ2fr_2Y
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 05, 2022 4:24 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm
he has his opinions on the smoke tubes I found interesting.

I happened across that video a while back and tend to agree .... I do use a smoke tube when cold smoking cheese, nuts, salt, pepper and such .... I do find the wood smoke taste from the pellets alone to produce the best flavor in meats
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 05, 2022 4:52 pm

replacement auger assembly arrived today .... only issue is a torn gasket .... after looking at it, I don't believe it will make a difference but I have sent them an email asking .... if it does matter, I'll make a really strong effort to not mess up the OEM gasket and reuse it .... we hope to get it installed tomorrow
Attachments
220505 001 torn gasket 002.jpg
220505 001 torn gasket 002.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 800 times
0 x