Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Country Traveler grill and pellet grill warning

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Country Traveler grill and pellet grill warning

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:13 am

I know Jim has one of these as do I. But for that matter any screw auger pellet grill can be subject to this. It happened to myself. Maybe those who have one already do this. When using the grill on its hottest setting be sure to shut your grill down in steps. Otherwise you stand the chance of an auger fire. Dont ask me how I know. I quite often use the highest setting to grill steaks after smoking them. I also open the sliding cover that exposes the flame. It really gives the steaks a nice finish. Luckily after shutting it down I was in view of the grill and was able to empty the pellet hopper before it caused any harm. But the pellets in the bottom of the hopper were on fire. I had just shut the grill off a short time before but hadnt done it in steps. The pellets in the auger caught fire and worked its way back up to the hopper. All is well now but since I shut it down in steps when using the highest setting.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Country Traveler grill and pellet grill warning

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:49 pm

I didn't have any of the issues mentioned above but after multiple calls to Country Smoker's Customer Service and more than 15 hours of working on our Traveler Smoker, I'm done with it .... to make a few things clear, the Customer Service folks I spoke with couldn't have been better to work with .... every promise they made was kept ..... for the last couple of years our Traveler Smoker was one of the best camping grills I've ever owned .... it cooked like a dream .... I now have a pile of new and used parts along with the Traveler itself that is destine for the scrap pile .... fixing it is beyond me and I'll soon be looking for a replacement
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:24 am

I have a new control panel for a Traveler Smoker Grill that I'll be happy to mail to anyone who may be able to use it .... the cover shown in the second picture isn't new but still keeps the Traveler dry .... it will fit most other similar shaped smokers ....
Attachments
200325 002 temp setting 002.jpg
200325 002 temp setting 002.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 927 times
200325 005 after burn 002.jpg
200325 005 after burn 002.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 927 times
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:44 am

as Big Al noted, our Traveler is now on its way to our local trash/recycling area .... it was a great smoker when it worked but its impossible to repair the auger when it goes bad
0 x