Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Home Canning

Tell us what you like. In the recipe sub forum post your recipe. Please no comments on recipes. Only likes please. The main cooking forum is for general chat about food and cooking.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Home Canning

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:05 pm

we hope to get it canned next week .... we want to get as much of that type of thing taken care of prior to my knee replacement surgery on the 21st .... I'll post pictures and be happy to taste it for you ... :D
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm

another day, another couple of runs through the canner .... today, squash relish
Attachments
170816 001 squash relish 001.jpg
170816 001 squash relish 001.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 11732 times
170817 001 squash relish 001.jpg
170817 001 squash relish 001.jpg (70.6 KiB) Viewed 11732 times
1 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm

That's a new one on me. Mom and her neighbor can everything, but I'm sure they never did this one. It looks interesting.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 pm

a quick internet search will turn up bunches of recipes .... as is the case with many dishes, most folks start out with a basic recipe and then customize it to their taste
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:48 pm

a new year, a new canning season .... on the way back from spending the summer in South Dakota we picked up a bushel of white half runner green beans at the Asheville, NC farmer's market on Wednesday, got home on Thursday, on Friday my job was to string and snap them while Maureen operated the canner .... next week we move to canning tomatoes
Attachments
180410 001 new batch 001.jpg
180410 001 new batch 001.jpg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 11487 times
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Great beginnings on putting up all that good food for the months ahead! Can't have a garden here, but one year my daughter got me a vine tomato plant. And it was one that did produce a lot of nice red, juicy tomatoes (kind of a surprise). Like Dave, the squash relish is a first time for me....but it looks good enough to eat! Have you ready a good bunch of tomatoes to can?

Years ago when I helped my Dad, Mom, and Grandma harvest two large gardens and get busy canning a lot of different veggies, it was kind of an exciting time. We also had three large apple trees, one peach tree, and one cherry tree. Mom put up many pies & cobblers into the large basement freezer. The canned (zero sugar) applesauce she prepared was something else! Wish I had some.....
Come January with a blizzard happening outside, it's really enjoyable to bake a fruit pie. Warms the innards very nicely (if you don't put too much ice cream on top!).

BTW, noticed in the photo you're starting to can some Pringles, too. How many cans of that do you expect to do?!? :lol:

All I can end this post with is a big YUM :!: :D :!:
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 pm

home canning Pringles isn't worth the effort .... it takes a really sharp blade to make the thin, wafer slices .... we used to have an acre + garden but gave that up years ago .... we've found we can go a farmer's market and buy the same fresh produce, in bulk, often for less than we could grow them .... we then run them through our 42 year old canner .... when needed we also have my Dad's 70+ year old home canner that we can press into service .... :D
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Great to see the old traditions alive. We still can some out of our garden. When I was growing up my Grandfolks on both my Dad and Mom's side raised huge gardens. Truck patches we called them. Grew about everything our climate will grow. They canned about everything including kraut and different relishes , pickles and of course beans ,tomatoes and so on. Root cellars full , well houses , basements etc. Really was amazing the amount of work involved in growing and putting it all up but very rewarding. We ate like kings. And oh yes , I put my time in the garden ! Tilling planting hoeing picking. Snapping beans , shucking corn etc. We always butchered our own hogs, beef and chickens. Smoked and cured our pork , rendered lard. Even still made lye soap. We used to store about 1500 lbs of potatoes in the root cellar too ! My grandmas and mama and aunts always working putting up and preparing food and us in the fields. Great memories of hard but happy , simpler times. We used to can a lot of sausage when we butchered hogs. We would cure hams and side meat. My grandpa would grind the rest and season with salt , black and red pepper, and sage ( lotsa sage!) that we grew ourselves. We would do this in the smokehouse then bring pan fills in the house where grandma and mama would roll it into balls and fry in a huge cast iron skillet. They would have hot jars setting ready and spoon the cooked sausage in them and then pour hot grease in the jars and seal and turn upside down. When the grease cooled, it made a perfect seal under the lid. When you wanted sausage, just get a jar out of the cellar, open it up and dump it in the skillet to heat it up. That's some real eating I can guarantee you!! Like JEBar ,being from the rural mountain country of the South it was our way of life. Well , I've gabbed long enough. Some other time I might have to talk about moonshining history of my family !!
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 pm

PT7 wrote:Have you ready a good bunch of tomatoes to can?
we have two bushels of canning tomatoes on reserved at a local farm that does a great job with strawberries and tomatoes .... we are supposed to pick them up tomorrow morning
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Used to do a lot of home canning, but after our kids grew up an left home it felt like too much work for the two of us. My favorite and least favorite was corn. Loved eating it, but hated the smell of canning it. The garden spot is now bartered out to a bee keeper. He gets the space for his bees and we get a couple cases of 12 pt jars of honey each fall.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234